"Create Vector", can we do more then 1 at a time please

Trying to make multiple lines, NOT connected. Open function, make a line, function closes automatically after. Open function again, make another line, function closes automatically after.

This is the same with boxes and circles.

I want to make multiple circles but can only make 1 at a time. Boxes; can only make 1 at a time.

There’s a “Done” button but seems to serve no purpose if we can only create 1 vector at a time. Workflow would be a lot smoother if we could create a line, hit enter, create a second line, hit enter, rinse and repeat until we’re finished, then hit “Done”. Again, same with circles and boxes.

Is this something that can be addressed in a CC update?

If I understand correctly, it seems the “array” functions will accomplish what you want - have you tried these? (Note that they only appear once you’ve selected the line or circle you want to replicate).

2 Likes

Under the Edit menu there is a Duplicate Selected option. Is that what your looking for?

1 Like

No. I’m referring to making the same vector, but different sizes, lengths, and angles without having to close and reopen the command. An example; you want to make 10 polylines all of which are different lengths and different angles. Currently you make one line and the command closes. You have to open it again, make the second line, the command closes. You have to open it again, make the third line, then it closes. So on and so on.

This is the same with circles and rectangles.

Here’s a quick example for the sake of this topic.

I want to create these lines. They’re all separated, different lengths, and different angles. Currently, you can only make one at a time.

To make these, we open “Create Polyline”, click a start point and drag to the end point… but that’s it. We can only hit enter or “Done” meaning we can only create 1 line at a time. After the first line we have to reopen “Create Polyline” and go through the whole process again.

In other design software, the process is generally open the command (Create Polyline), create line A, hit enter(or space bar), create line B, hit enter, create line C, hit enter, and so on. Once all the lines are created, then we can hit “Done”.

Currently with Carbide Create, we have to open “Create Polyline” 10 times to make 10 lines.

I will note that this is one of the limitations that using a tablet addresses nicely — when I’m doing such drawing in Carbide Create, I just position my thumb over the tool which I am using, and it feels quite natural to:

• press with thumb (of left hand)
  • enter requested drawing mode
  • draw as desired (using stylus in right hand)
  • done, if need be (again, pressed w/ thumb of left hand)

repeat.

Vectric software allows you to hit tab to end the line without closing the tool, something like that would be very handy.

Or maybe there is a keyboard shortcut to activate which would be almost as good. I have not looked at the shortcut list.

It has always bugged me that the palette of tools is on the left. I have a large monitor and am right handed and it seems like I am always traveling a long way to get to the icons. Vectric also has the design stuff on the left but the toolpath on the right. Since I spend more time in design I would prefer it flipped. I am sure some of you left handed guys love it the way it is :blush:

I discovered Touch Portal which is a poor man’s stream deck. It allows you to map keys to an iPad. I have just started to play with it and it works pretty good.

1 Like

Yes, that works when using a touch screen and allows you to keep your hand on the mouse and not scroll for a mile.

Typically when sitting at my desk doing design my laptop is closed and I am working on my external monitor.

Stylus, not mouse — hopefully accessories such as the new 13" Gen 2 Wacom One w/ touch will become more popular (I have a Gen. 1 which has been great, but for interactions such as the above, I am going to get the new version).

One thing which I need to revisit is using a small 4-key keyboard which is attached to the bottom of my tablet and which is assigned to the shortcut/modifier keys I need when drawing.

I agree with @bh412 on this one. I do not use CC for authoring very often, but that is very annoying.
Probably one the main reasons I avoid it for anything more than simple work.

How about and “End/Finish” button along with the “Done” button.
The “End/Finish” button would commit the entity and reset to the normal initial creation settings.
The “Done” button would commit the entity and close the dialog as it is currently doing.
There is no cancel option, which seems ok…

As @bh412 noted, this is applicable to multiple entity creation options and could be a generic implementation software wise.

I think the industry standard would be OK APPLY CANCEL

OK - complete the operation & exit
APPLY - complete the operation & remain open
CANCEL - cancel the operation & exit

The lack of a cancel is minor. Since it usually leaves the object selected you merely have to hit Delete if you didn’t want it.

2 Likes