Cut2D desktop of Vcarve Desktop

Hi,

I’m a CNC beginner (4XL) and I’m looking at Vectric software. What I like to do is make simple front panels for electronics and flight simulators and also some Nameplates for my boat for example. What would you advise me to buy, the Cut2D desktop or the Vcarve desktop?

Have you tried Carbide Create?

In what way did it not work for this sort of thing?

I started out with Vectric Cut2D once I felt I had outgrown the then capabilities of Carbide Create. I would say Cut2D would be a perfectly adequate starting point for your described wants.
However, Carbide Create has developed over the last 18months or so, so take a good look there before deciding you need more than it can offer.

Probably the availability of (beginners) support videos to learn new stuff. A front panel is no problem but that’s very basic and easy, I want to learn how to do name signs for the boat (text popup) that was super easy with Easle for example, even with the automatic tool advice for the second stage of the carving. Easle increased their pricing so that’s out of my list. CC is also good but there is so much more starters information available with Easle or Vectric. Easier to learn I guess…

This simple example, I want to carve out the background, leave the text untouched. When I create the toolpaths it also takes away the letters, things like that while I have created a first toolpath of the text with zero height…

I know the solution is probably very simple but most other programs gives me a much clearer simulation results, it visualizes (3D) exactly what is going to happen so it’s easier for me to learn what I’m doing wrong. CC doesn’t have that, the simulations doesn’t help very much…

1 Like

There are videos at:

https://my.carbide3d.com/gswcc/01/

and folks are able to ask for assistance here or at support@carbide3d.com for custom tutorials.

The design you specify is simply a matter of making the correct selection:

and toolpaths:

Attached.

example.c2d (185.0 KB)

Thanks, I will watch the video’s and samples and try again…

Schermafbeelding 2022-03-18 om 13.11.04
Will CM let me know when to change the tool here? Or will it just pause? How will I know when to change the tool to the #301?

If you have a BitSetter, you can run jobs that have multiple tools in one file. When the tool number changes, the machine prompts you for the new tool.

If you do not have a BitSetter, you cannot run jobs that have multiple tools in one file.

So, you can run the Advanced VCarve Toolpath if you have a BitSetter.

(note: there are “hacky” ways to split a single file with multiple tools into multiple files each with one tool, but that requires work outside of CC/CM)

2 Likes

Ok, I don’t have a bitsetter but the machine stopped in the middle of the carve. That might have been the moment that I needed to change the bit…

So, if I understand it right, I can’t use the Advanced Vcarve option without a bitsetter… That is unfortunate. Even simple programs like Easel can do that, when it’s time to change the bit, Easle will raise the bit and tell you to change it, after that it tells you to Z-probe again and it continues carving…

Set it up as 2 separate toolpaths, a pocket and a Adv Vcarve without the pocketing.
disable the Vcarve & output Gcode. Now disable the pocket & enable the Vcarve & output Gcode.
2 separate files :wink:

This strategy might require some offset generation if you wanted to maintain a consistent angled wall on the vcarved area.

or use @fenrus’s tool to split the single gcode file generated by CM’s Advanced v-carve toolpath. You end up with one file for the pocketing part and another file for the vbit part, which you can then just run sequentially, resetting Z zero in between

2 Likes

That was the extra “outside of CC/CM” I was referring to. This at least will give you the same result, whereas the approach from @Tod1d won’t.

1 Like

Is the pocket in the V-carve different from a regular pocket operation?
They looked the same to me.

[edit] I see the difference now. You’d need to offset the pocket path by the depth to avoid wiping out the bevels

They are. Try a circle in a square with Advanced VCarve vs a simple pocket. The results differ. Hence the need for the offset as mentioned.

Not quite. You can’t use the gcode generated by Create’s advanced Vcarve with Motion without a BitSetter.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the advice gents, appreciate it. While I was thinking about what to do, use some different software or the tool Julien suggested, the solution came from a totally unexpected side, my wife. “so why don’t you buy a bitsetter then”? :wink:

5 Likes

Good wife!!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After she said that I ordered one within 10 minutes… :wink: