Cutter not found error

Machine is built and software downloaded and installed. When I turn it on, the green light comes on as well as a blue light on the controller board. According the manual, the first thing to do is to click the “Connect to cutter” button. When I do, I get an error “cutter not found!”. I double checked everything I knew to check and plugged and unplugged the USB cable from both the controller and the computer. I double checked that the USB port was working with another device and it was. Tried again and same result. Not sure where to go now in troubleshooting.

Help would be gratefully accepted.
Charlie

I know this is basic but is the usb cable plugged up. If you are running windows you can go into devices and see if you see the Shapeoko. Also if you plug and unplug the usb cable you usually get a sound when a new device is discovered. Do you get the sound?

1 Like

Do the motors lock?

Is the Emergency Stop button not pressed in?

I can’t believe this. Every time I try to post a problem on this forum, either I had overlooked something or found that the problem was not a problem. When Guy asked if I got the beep when I plugged the USB cable in, I started to just answer yes, but then I thought I better check. Unplugged it and plugged it in and heard the beep. I then thought I’d make sure there wasn’t something about the message I missed and…you guessed it…connected!!! That’s good…embarrassing after my last few mistakes…but good.

And yes, William, the motors were locking while I was haviing the problem and still are.

Another sheepish thank you for the responses. I promise, some day I’ll have a real problem.

Thanks again for the quick responses.

2 Likes

No stupid questions.
We are all learning, some have just learned more than others…lol…

Wait until you are 4 hours into a job, do a bit change but forget to restart your router… HRRRRTTTTTT
Ruined a job…

1 Like

Yep. I did that. I wasn’t 4
Hours in, but it was on a large piece that was glued up so there was a lot of investment. I caught the error quickly but not before the Y axis slipped due to the but not spinning. I didn’t realize it slipped so I let the job finish thinking so could edit the gcode and clean up the missed bit.

In the end, I had an interesting effect, but not one I was going for. Had to reflatten the board and add a backer to it for rigidity and cut again.

Messed up:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.