Cutter stuttering badly

Anyone know what the heck is going on here? This just started happening all the sudden.

Seems like the bearings in the router just are probably shot.

3 Likes

As @Chaotica said, bearings.

Edit,
I purchased an extra router to keep me running. Rebuilt the old one and stached it in a drawer till I need it.

1 Like

Wild, thanks guys. I don’t even have much running time on this thing. How long should they usually last?

I’ve had mine for years without issue yet - but I’m not running every day of the week for 8-12 hrs.
I would think a 1,000 to 10,000hrs would seem reasonable, but I’ve never seen any stats on how long bearings last at 20,000rpm.

In the video it looked like your spindle was moving around. With the router powered off and grab the collet nut with a tightened bit installed and if it wiggles the bearings are likely bad. Also check your brushes. Brushes can cause disconnects or the router running and not running. The brushes seem to wear out fairly fast on Makita/C3D routers. I would put my money on the bearings after seeing the video but that could just be the router bouncing around due to the router stalling from brushes or too aggressive of a cut.

What is the purple material? If it is foam it is not too aggressive of a cut unless you are melting the foam and binding up the bit.

2 Likes

thanks, will check the brushes too. It is foam, but I don’t think it’s the material. It was doing the same stuttering in mid air while not cutting.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.