Cutting 303 Stainless Shaft

So I need to put some flats on a stainless shaft, and square up the ugly hacksaw cuts. I’m planning on using a low profile vice with a V notch to hold the shaft. I picked up a 5 pack of good ol’e Speed Tiger 4 flute 1/8" end mills from amazon. What I need is some advice on speeds and feeds, I’m running a 2.2Kw spindle so I have up to 25K RPM at my disposal. I know @RichCournoyer has done his fair share of this type of work, so I know it can be done.

A stainless shaft is likely not hardened. Tough to cut, yeah, depends on the alloy though. To be honest, the fast path here is a file…but the CNC machine is a lot more fun!

3 Likes

Right long day *NOT hardened, looking at 303 stainless. I was going to vote Dremel, but then I thought ahhh why buy the CNC if you don’t use it :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Ide run about 8,000 rpm, which translates into 262 sfm. Use coolant/oil and target at least a 0.0005 chip thickness after thinning. A 0.010-0.020 axial doc should be pretty easy on the machine.

7 Likes

Stainless, 303 cuts like butter at 200 SFM. but some oil or coolant on the part helps too.

Since I am not in business…and not in a hurry like @Vince.Fab, I run mine a little slower.

7 Likes

Thanks for the info, I’ll report back with some pictures of carnage next weekend.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.