Cutting air when using BitZero V1

Greetings
I recently began using my XL after a year hiatus. I am now using the latest versions of Carbide Create and Carbide Motion.
After initialization, CM runs the bit over to the Bitsetter and then comes back to front and center. I attach the probe alligator clip to the bit and then position the bit over the Bitzero , I position the bit over the left corner and hit probe. It asks which location I want to probe and I indicate left-front corner. I hit probe, continue without changing bit and it goes smoothly through the measurements. I then Zero the XYZ coordinates and hit Done.
When I start the job, the machine goes to the appropriate place on the work piece, drops to within 1 inch of the surface and then “cuts air”
If I forgo using the Bitzero and set the XYZ coordinates manually, the job goes without a hitch.
I have looked through the settings and can’t find a solution.
Did something change with the latest versions of CC or CM?
Any help is appreciated.
Bill

What happens if after probing you check the Z-axis zero by using the Rapid Position button for jogging to Z+6mm?

I will go try that right now, although I never had to do this with past versions…

I’ll get right back to you.

The software does that in the background, no need to set zero after the probe cycle. Doing that manually after the probe cycle will result in a new Z zero height above the BitZero

1 Like

I think @Ed.E has found your problem. As he said the BitZero sets zero and if you reset the zero positions you just set it to where ever the bit is at that moment. After the probing the bit comes to rest at 6MM above the BitZero.

Hi Will

That solved my problem! When I hit the "Rapid Position to Z+6, it centered over the left fron edge of the project but stayed
In the past, I had to Set Zero after probing, but I guess the new version gets the “Z” height from the Bitsetter because it goes there after the probing???

No, probing the BitZero sets the origin for the axis/axes which are probed.

The BitSetter only measure the length offset of the current tool.

Hi Will
Can you try to help me understand a little better…??
Did the process change with the latest versions? I am quite sure that, in the old version, I would set Zero after probing. I have never used the Rapid Position button with prior projects.
Thanks for holding my hand through this. I am easily confused…
Bill

No, the act of probing w/ a BitZero sets the origin.

See:

1 Like

Thanks Will
That will give me something to do today!
Bill

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.