Cutting fiberglass and dust collection

I’ve been asked to cut boat parts from a plywood type product called Coosa Board. Shaped like plywood but made of foam, resin and fiberglass. I talked to the manufacturer of the Coosa yesterday and they said that standard spindle / router dust collection boot and a shop vac would be adequate dust collection. What do y’all think?

Likely, but I would still wear a mask. You REALLY don’t want glass in your lungs.

Some dust & chips are going to escape the dust boot. I think even with a dust boot and an enclosure I would wear a mask cutting that stuff.

3 Likes

I agree 100%. I will certainly be wearing a good mask. Do you think I should get a more significant dust collector? I was considering an Oneida Dust Cobra. Thanks.

If your machine is inside an enclosure & exhausting the dust collection air outside, then you would have little worry about getting fiberglass dust around your shop.
Otherwise, you need to have a HEPA rated cartridge filter on your shopvac for sure. And also some constant fresh airflow from outside.

The Oneida Dust Cobra would certainly work - little too much money for my taste but I’m not running a production shop. The high CFM rate of the Cobra is defeated by the dustshoe on the CNC - for any given air pressure differential the rate of CFM is going to be limited by the smallest tube the air has to flow through besides the overall length/pipe diameter flow restrictions. But you could certainly have a secondary intake line around the CNC which would just help to cleanup the general air in your shop.

2 Likes

The 12 gal Dewalt Steathsonic and a cheap cyclone separator from Harbor Freight work very well if you want to save a few bucks.

You can get HEPA filters for it although the Dewalt ones are pricey. I bought some aftermarket ones off of Amazon.

I like the idea of a secondary intake. Thanks for your input.

When I was a kid my mother washed some fiberglass curtains in the washing machine. Next load was my underware. As soon as I put it on I started itching. All the clothes there were washed after the curtains had to be thrown away.

So @Tod1d said you dont want glass in your lungs or your underware.

2 Likes