Cutting off from file - font, vee cutting, holes, and radii

Good morning,

I have three issues that may or may not be related.

1. My vee carving text comes out very different than what appears on the screen. I attached the pictures.
  2. On one project I had an item that had four rounded corners and one of the corners was cut square, every pass followed the same path, it wasn’t like one pass jumped and the other passes continued where they should have. There wasn’t any stepped edge as the cutter did multiple passes into the material.
  3. I did a counterbore on two holes and the counterbores and holes were not concentric as they should have been. I cut the same profile immediately before this one and the counterbores and holes were concentric. I used the same file in carbide motion.

This looks like a mechanical issue. Per the machine operating checklist: Machine Operating Checklist - Carbide 3D , the basic points of adjustment for a machine are:

Pulley set screws — verify that these are in-place and secure — for further details on checking them on a Shapeoko 3 see: Checking Pulley Set Screws - Carbide 3D — be sure to check all axes/pulleys (including Z on machines w/ belt-drive Z-axis, for an HDZ, check both coupler screws).

(for the SO3/4, X- and Y-axes) V wheels / eccentric nuts: Tightening Eccentric Nuts - Carbide 3D

(for the Pro, and SO4 Z-axis) Lubrication of the linear rails: https://docs.carbide3d.com/assembly/linear-guide-maintenance/Linear_Rail_and_Guide_Maintenance_02-17-2021_v1.0.pdf

Belt tension (see the relevant step in your instruction manual, e.g., Step 5 Belting - Carbide 3D) Note that the X-axis motor is held in place on standoffs and if those bolts are loose this can cause belt tension issues. Also, belt tension for the Y-axis stepper motors needs to be even/equivalent on each side — a significant difference can cause skipping on one side eventually resulting in lost steps on both. Measuring belt tension, squaring and calibration

Ensure that all screws are in place and secure, esp. on the linear rails on a Pro.

Also check that tools in the trim router spin true, and that they don’t shift up/down.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.