Cutting Sounds from X Y axis

Shapeoko Pro XL seems to be very noisey when testing a cut job.
Have the spindle shut off so i can hear the noise
Jogging or rapid position seems to be OK.
Seems to happen when X and Y are moving together
Has anyone noticed this

Any ideas.

post a recording/video of that to help diagnose maybe?

1 Like

I have a recording of the noise but you cant post audio files on here.

Here’s a link to the audio file on Google Drive:

Here’s some video files, jogging and running a project

I found this on an older post about someone having a similar issue. Has to do with the steps/mm setting. Anyone know if there is such a setting in the latest version of CC Motion.?

After quite a bit of troubleshooting and a lot of help from Brandon at Carbide 3D. Thanks Brandon! I figured out what was going on.
My machine for whatever reason had a steps/mm setting of around 20. instead of 40. I have an early machine, where you can select between 1/4 and 1/8 stepping. I’m not exactly sure how it happened, but after suggesting I play around with various settings in this arena, I determined that this was the culprit. Once I set it back to 1/8 microstepping with ~40 steps/mm, calibrated for belt stretch to further refine, the nasty sounds went away.

2 Likes

Talked to one of the engineers from Carbide 3D last night about the noise issue. He said noise issue should work itself out after the machine is used for a while. Per his suggestion I ordered some Vactra OIl to lube all the Linear Rails. Makes sense to me, so I will wait and see if the noise issue gets better after I lube the linear rails and use the machine for a couple of months.

2 Likes