Cutting thicker wood bit suggestion

I searched but couldn’t find some good information.

I have some oak & walnut that is 1 1/2" thick.

I need some suggestions for a bit to do a final cut out of this thickness.

Thanks,
Pete

You’ll need a long-reach endmill — the part geometry will be tricky as well — is flipping the part can cutting 3/4" at a time an option?

1 Like

The way I accomplished the trick for my turtle back was to cut an outer perimeter such that my shorter bits could go down the required amount without the collet nut hitting the top surface of the board. My turtle started out at 1.875" thick so, for me and this project that worked without having to purchase more bits.

6 Likes

I have on e of these. I have not used it yet.

2 Likes

Frank, so you got this done by clearing the collet? That won’t work with my project.

My project is an American flag, it’s just 0.1" pocket cuts, I have to decide whether I want to cut this out with the cnc by flipping as Will suggested which I didn’t think of or just put onto the table saw which might be the better option.

Or I can just stick with 3/4" wood, I bought some long planks of bigger thickness with the intention of doing some carvings which haven’t materialized, I wanted to use the wood instead of looking at it every day :smiley:

Thanks for all the reply’s,
Pete

I use a Melin AMG-808-E 1/4" wide by 1/4" shank. The overall length is 4 inches. So when I use that bit I push the bit all the way up in the router and move it back down about a 1/4". The reason is the bit is very long and just seating the bit to the length of the collet tends to make the bit run out of round. When you start the router and it sounds funny then stop and reseat the bit and try again. Also be aware that the overall bit length is 4 inches so depending on your clamping setup the bit will be closer to the spoil board during rapid movements so make sure you wont hit any clamps.

I have cut a lot of 1.5" treated pine and 1.5" glued up maple plywood with it. The bit works fine but because the bit is so long you can get vibration in the project and make clamps come loose. So I found out the hard way that I should have screwed down a project just a few nights ago. The material came up in the back while cutting and ruined the project.

The bits works but there are some caveats that you have to address to use such a long bit.

I got the Melin AMG-808-E from zoro.com. Sure you can get it else where.

1 Like

I think I found the bigger bit?

1 Like

I just used a spe brand .25 single flute with a 1.5’ cutting length to make a box out 1.5’ walnut and it worked well. Bought it on amazon.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.