Cutting veneer with Stingray

Has anyone used their Stingray cutter to cut veneer. If so, what blade, springs speeds etc?

Oooh, that’s an interesting idea. I haven’t really messed with my stingray as of yet. Might be a good weekend project.

It would need to be quite thin veneer for the Stingray to cut it — the tool is designed for vinyl and while it cuts paper well, cardstock can be a challenge depending on thickness

I was wondering, the Cricut states it can even cut basswood/balsa wood up to 1/16” with multiple passes using the 60 degree cutter and a lot of down force.
I can get veneer that is 25 thou thick (1/40”) is that too thick?

I’ve cut thick cardstock. I just had to make several passes to get a clean cut through the material.
I suspect cutting veneer would be the same. One difference being the grain in the veneer.
With the card stock I programmed a single depth of cut & let the spring in the cutter take care of the depth of cut on each pass. With veneer, I would probably program a small depth of cut (0.001 - 0.005) to start to avoid the cutter trying to follow the grain.

So, for your 0.025 thick veneer, say I wanted to cut at 0.005, then 2 more cuts at 0.010.
I would set my stock thickness to 0.030, my depth of cut to 0.010, and then zero my Z at the top of the surface & type in -0.005.
Now it thinks the Z zero is 0.005" above the part, making that first cut only 0.005" deep, and the remaining cuts 0.010" deep.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.