Cycle time and Gcode Question

I’m doing a single engraving operation with one tool. Since I don’t need to change tools, or measure the tool offset, I commented-out the M06 at the start. When it reaches the M03Sxxxx, it prompts me to start my router. No problem here.

At the end of the cycle I’ve edited the Gcode to retract in Z and move away slightly in Y. At this point there is an M05 which prompts me to turn off the router. Still no problem.

The original code generated by CC (build 757) it ends with an M02. I changed the M02 to M00. The cycle stops with START and STOP button of CM ‘lit’. After I’ve replaced my part, I would like to hit START again and go right back to turning the spindle on and machining. Instead, CM takes me back out to LOAD FILE / START FILE / ETC. Now I have to hit START FILE, then START again once it goes back to the progress bar.

According to the docs and supported Gcodes:

• M0 — Program Pause and End — in Carbide Motion this will allow one to run a program again.
  • M1 — Sleep (optional stop)
  • M2 — Program Pause and End (see below)
  • M30 — Program Pause and End — in Carbide Motion this may return the machine to the machine origin

What’s the difference between M00 and M02? M02 says ‘see below’ but there’s nothing to see. What action does the M01 cause? Can someone give me a quick rundown?

Is there some way to go right back to the ‘top’ and the M03 to start the spindle? Is there a way I don’t know how to ‘JUMP’ back to a line number or label? I don’t want to have to hit ‘START FILE’, then ‘START’, then ‘RESUME’.

Thank you guys (and gals) for your input.

John

M2 and M30 end the program. Grbl needs to know that the program has ended to be in a ready state to run the job again. M0 and M1 are pauses with the difference being handled by the sender (Motion…I can’t speak to the difference in Motion).

Just referring to the statement with M30.

No.

Not with the way Carbide Motion handles it. Some UIs just start running the gcode again when you hit start.

Thank you Neil. Very well explained.

1 Like

Typical definitions, at least for most Fanuc style controllers & many other legacy controllers…

M0 - Stop. That’s it, just stop until Start is hit again
M1 - Optional Stop. Usually a switch on the controller must be on, otherwise ignored.
M02 - End of program
M30 - End of program, Rewind. On most controllers this allows you to run the program again with “Start”

CM interprets some of these and manipulates what goes to the machine, so it boots you out to the menu to Start → Start again.

Fanuc is that newfangled stuff, I started with RS-274D and DIN66025 :grinning:

1 Like

From RS-274D (ISO 6983) - circa 1963

|M0|program stop|
|M1|optional program stop|
|M2|program end|
|M30|program end, pallet shuttle, and reset|

Fanuc made their first control in 1958 :wink: Allen-Bradley was also a big player in the US. Siemens in Europe with the ISO std.

I started on paper tape machines :smiley:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.