Deep carved sign lettering

I saw this carving in the background for a router bit ad and I’m intrigued. Does anyone know how to vcarve lettering like this? And what bits would be used in the process?

Thanks!
Dave

Are you asking how to Vcarve a shape where the depth is greater than the effective cut depth of the Vee Bit? Or the shape is wider than the bit diameter?

Just do multiple Advanced V-Carve toolpaths, incrementing the depth.

Should just be a matter of setting the text in that font (Algerian):

(it’s a font which has been bundled w/ MS Word/Windows for a long while)

Then assigning a V carving w/ a suitable tool:

6 Likes

Thanks William. I’m not sure if the image just had a weird perspective but I was thinking there was a really steep cut on the high side of the Rs (as in greater than 45 or 60 degrees). And thanks for recognizing that font!

D

When I first looked at it, that was my thought as well until I recognized the font.

While I’m not quite as good as I once was, I’ve spent enough time poring over font catalogs and specimen books that I can usually remember them (or at least recognize a designer).

Moreover, it was the font used in my favourite set of glasses:

3 Likes

WooHoo! Its tell-all time now! :smiley:

Vectric’s vcarve toolpath will cut deeper than the bit. Somewhere around here I have a test piece where I carved a monogram that way. (It didn’t look good to me that way, so I didn’t go any further with it.)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.