[Defect?] Strange Message in CM 635

I’ve been running since the beta just fine.
Today, I ran a job, used Pause (waited for the spindle to rise); Pause again (to enable the buttons); and pressed STOP.

From that point out, as soon as I attempted to start a job, CM popped up a message that the system was xxx inches too low and it was going to plunge to the bottom (I don’t remember the exact message). I tried rezero-ing Z, then started the job again - same message popped up. Then, I started a brand new job, set zero (with the new process)…as soon as I pressed START, it popped up the message again. I eventually ignored the message and everything worked fine.

The only way to get rid of the message was to shut down CM and restart it. I didn’t have time to reproduce it, but I’m pretty sure the process was to STOP a job after pausing it; and then attempt to start another job

Gary

Just bouncing this again - has anyone experienced the same condition?

I have this open in a tab to try to replicate when I have a chance to do some testing this evening.

1 Like

As a noob who just ran into this error today doing my first test job let me ask a probably very basic question: When you zeroed the Z-Axis, did you zero to the top of your material? At first I skimmed through parts of the tutorials and tried zeroing to the baseboards, but the errors thankfully led to me re-watching the video to realize I was being dumb and incorrectly assuming how the software worked (always watch the tutorial / read the manual!)

Moving past the above question: Did you measure / verify the material and make sure your total plunge depth did not exceed the material depth?

Yes. I’ve been using this machine for about 4 years now and follow the same procedure each time. I zero to the top of my stock.

I should point out that this message ONLY popped up when I stopped a job using the Pause and then Stop commands…and then only continued to happen until I restarted CM. It happened on ANY job at the point that I was pressing “START” for that job. Lastly, once I restarted CM, the same job ran without issue.

If I get some time, I’ll reproduce the exact steps and make it happen again. I’m confident I can find the conditions.

• Gary

@WillAdams OK…I had some time - I’m able to reproduce this problem.

If you interrupt the new bit-setter “Z”-Zero-ing process (during the measurement by pressing the Pause (I have a hard-wired button) and then press STOP, when you try to restart another job (even after zero-ing again), you will get the message that the bottom is too low and you will plunge. The message will not go away until your leave CM and come back in (you do not need to reinitialize the machine). Even if you load in a new project, zero, and press start - you will get that message.

I did not try this if you press STOP at any other point (like when cutting a project), but the bug DEFINITELY is reproduceable if you interrupt the bitsetter measurement routine.

If it’s only during the bitsetter zeroing process, that’s a pretty minor defect - but it if changes something internally, or happens at any STOP command - it’s something that needs to get looked at.

• Gary
1 Like