Design Question for Newbie, Please

Hello All!

Some background…I’ve done a month long deep dive in researching CNC machines. In the end, I’m thinking the Shapeoko 4XXL is perfect for our small business. I’ve been watching all of the tutorials from Carbide, along with many YouTube video to familiarize myself with the process. I’m pretty good at Illustrator, so I have that covered.

So…at this point, we’re only looking to do contour cutting of the items in the shop. We are using a jig and/or scroll saw to cut items, but we believe this will produce more accurate cuts for less time.

Okay - finally the question. I have two oversized items…very basic…surfboards. I know I will have to tile to do this. I’m having a hell of at time with figuring it out despite reading articles and watching some videos. Carbide doesn’t have a tiling option. I know others do (v-carve, Fusion), but I don’t want to pay monthly for something I really don’t need. Is it possible for me to download the month trial version of one of these, create the g-code and use it with the Shapeoko? It is literally two items that need to be tiled.

Am I making sense? :slight_smile: Any help would be appreciated.

Please see:

Idk if your a member of the Facebook group (shapeoko and nomad users group (unofficial)) but someone recently posted an interesting way to go about it

1 Like

I’m not! Will go and join now! Thank you so much. It’s very appreciated!

1 Like

Oh, Will,

I came across this a while back and I’ve read this over and over. I’m trying to make sense of it, but it’s still kicking my ass. :slight_smile: Thank you, though.

1 Like

Post the file you are having trouble with and we will walk through it w/ you.

1 Like

Hey Will,

Here is the svg file. It’s basically a surfboard, cut from pine, with that cut out in the middle. This and another surf are my only oversized things. Everything else I sell will fit. It measures 18" x 58". When I uploaded into Carbide, I had to resize it.

Thank you!
SURFBOARD cnc1

Here’s one way

Since you’re 58" long, and you have a 33" cutting envelope you can do this with one move.
Draw a line across the midpoint at 29"
Make a copy/duplicate of the shape and trim them to make a top & bottom, each overlapping the centerline a bit. (I went 1"). Assuming a 1/4" tool, I offset each curve outside 0.375" then joined up the ends. Then I added some tabs. Offset the cutout inside 0.375".
The offset is to allow the cutter to make 2 passes at each level avoiding binding the cutter in a 0.250 wide slot.

I separated them by layer, then made a contour path on each vector. Assuming 2" thick I went 2" deep with 0.200 tall tabs.

Now output your paths.
Disable the top half paths and with the zero point at lower left output a G-code file. (surfboard-bottom.nc)
Now disable the 1st path, and enable the other 2. Go back to setup and change your zero to Center-Left. Output the top paths (surfboard-top.nc)

Now on the machine, screw a 33" board where the left edge of your stock will ride, centered in your work envelope. Make a mark on the board 2" from the front end. (33 - 29 = 4. 4 / 2 = 2).
Machine the edge of the board parallel to you Y axis.
Another assumption that your stock is 18 x 58", align the lower left corner of your stock with the zero line on your board (fence). secure your stock & cut the bottom program.
Unclamp, draw a line on your stock 29" from the bottom edge. Line that up with your zero line on the fence. Clamp & cut the top programs.

5 Likes

Wow, Tod (with one d),

I can’t thank you enough for taking the time and walking me through this. A lot of it is still confusing to me, but I have to do more studying with the program. I’ve spent a couple of hours a day watching the tutorials, etc. I need to do more. I have a list that does a deeper dive on the subjects of nodes, etc.

I am 100% confident that once I learn more, this will make total sense. I do get the whole idea from your explanation, but I need to learn more, for sure.

We sell so many of these. Being able to cut these on the Shapeoko as opposed to a jig is a game changer. We have another surf item that we sell a lot of that will be perfect. Everything else will fit easily.

Going to take this week and immerse myself into the education and then going to buy my 4xxl!!! So excited.

Again, thank you. Taking the time to do this means a lot to a newbie like me!!! I will be sure to do the same when I get better. LOL!

2 Likes

No worries. Glad to help. Can’t wait to see some finished products!!
These are really short boards!! I lived in CA for a couple years & tried it a few times. Quite likely the most difficult sport I’ve ever done. I did end up catching a few good rides, but hurt for 3 days afterward!! :laughing:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.