Dewalt bearing play/slop

Cutting pockets in MDF, I’m getting tiny ridges between each pass and I’m pretty sure the router is the culprit. My brand new Dewalt router has side-to-side “play” in the bearings. I can jiggle the arbor side to side and feel the slop. I put a dial indicator on it and it has .002 of jiggle in it. This means an automatic .002 of runout on top of any runout in the collet. Do I have a lemon or do they all have this slop? Anybody want to try theirs and report back? Would I be better off with a Makita? Thanks…

2 Likes

I crashed the Dewalt I have at work :slight_smile: Haven’t measured but it’s probably close to 0.01" of play. Been running it since spring as such. Def bummer, but luckily most the stuff we toss on it has at least that in tolerance so it’s been fine for now. High end rpm there’s a slight squeal…

I do intend to swap it out soon. Will live the rest of its life as a hand tool as originally intended.

I believe most good routers are around 0.001" or less.
If you tap in the bit you could maintain 2 thou at best if that’s good enough for you. However, as you mention it’s a compound effect so could be another thou or so in collet/endmill in addition if let be after tightened.

Search runout and you’ll find instances of others measured.

2 Likes

Here’s a diagram showing “radial internal clearance” in a bearing. I think my router has too much. But I’m wondering if they’re all that way?

2 Likes

usually it’s a seat where the bearing rests on the outside diameter that will develop clearance or play.
a plastic or softer alloy interface that has a slip fit. leverage on the spindle can rock these bearings in their seat and they gain unwanted movement - this is over the product lifespan. Otherwise it would be a faulty product or a significant crash to cause it to occur.

bearing clearance is incredibly small on decent bearings which most these routers have.
there are bearings with extra clearance that are considered loose or require a preload (interference fit), but not on these router applications. the only reason you would have clearance is from a failing bearing. characteristics would include a noise/whine, gritty rotational sensation from the breakdown of the races or balls, play noticed when holding only the inner and outer race of the bearing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.