Diagonal Slot - how to create

Not sure if this belongs in the design or machining category…

I’m designing for the first project of the First Five, the drop tray. I noticed a lot of the drop trays were focused mainly for pocket/wrist/tech accessories. I got to thinking, and my wife uses thumbtacks on a corkboard to hold her earrings. I though about making a drop tray for her watch/headphones and a vertical component to put her phone and several pairs of earrings.

Enter the promblem I’m facing: I want to cut a slanted slot to put the vertical component into, but I’m not 100% on how to make it. Would something like this do the trick?

The top image is how I would machine the slot. Dotted lines show materials that would need to be removed AFTER the slot is cut. The pocket at the front I think would have to be cut after the board is flat unless I added a draft to the wall of the pocket.

The vertical component might need to be made the same way to get the angles on the bottom and top of the piece.

Any input/thoughts on how to machine this would be great! Thanks!

I think you are looking for something like this…

A slide out tilt down drawer/shelf.

Here is one of many on YouTube.

This design can be changed to fit your project the arc and drawer guide can be reduced or enlarged to fit a small shelf.

Do a search for (slide out tilt down drawer)

Anthony

1 Like

You want a “sine table” or equivalent.

Here’s an image of one:

(quickly pulled from an image search — no endorsement)

The alternative is to machine the angle into a suitable block, or you could just cut a piece of stock at a diagonal and use that as a fixture.

1 Like

That is a pretty cool idea, but I don’t think it falls in line with this project. Not really looking for a drawer, just a slanted element that’s cantilevered (I think that’s the right word) by the base.

Those sine tables are expensive. I imagine it’s possible to make one for cheaper, like you said, by cutting the angle into a block, then securing my piece to that to machine the slot. And it would waste far less wood. Good call!

You already have it drawn up in a side view, you could just make a couple wedges (Red) & 2-way tape to the bottom of your piece to hold it at that angle.

And the insert would not really need to be angled. If it fits into the slot the bottom can be square. No one will see it unless the turn the thing upside down & look. (Green)

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.