Diamond Drag bit

I’ve been wanting to try some Drag engraving, and just wanted to point out these cheaper Diamond Drag engraving bits On Ebay

I’ve ordered the 6mm 60° bit, which has 2 springs for soft and hard material, and also ordered a spare tip. It came to about US$40 with free international shipping.

Hoping the quality is decent, I can’t justify spending $130 on one just yet.

4 Likes

Let us know how they are. From the little I have researched, the cheaper ones are fine for soft material, but wear out quick on hard stuff like glass. It would be nice to see a real “review” on how they really hold up. Like you, I want to try these, but $130 can be spent on needier things at the moment.

3 Likes

I bought a chep one from e-bay, I forget the exact price, it had a holder 3 diamond bits of various angles. I used only the 90 deg so far but the results are excellent.Here is an example.

I used VCarve Pro for the toolpaths.

6 Likes

That looks great! Is the material flooring tile?

That did come out great, if I can manage results like that I’ll be very happy.

I’d mostly like to do acrylic, stone/tile and maybe aluminium. Hopefully these cheaper bits last. They are made in Austria so I am hoping the quality is pretty decent

1 Like

Yes, our Home Depot stocks 12"X12" granite black tiles and white marble at reasonable price. I also found slate somewhere else but I have not tried it yet.

3 Likes

Mine has just shown up, what feeds and speeds do you find work well? I’m starting on aluminium, but want to do some tiles too

Here is what I use for granite, it should be a start for Aluminum too, I think I used the same but don’t have the info on hand. Of course the spindle speed is 0 and the pressure is 0.125in.

3 Likes

Awesome thank you, this is my first run at aluminium, with settings of:
Feed - 2000mm/min / 500 plunge
Line width - 0.2mm
Stepover - 0.4mm (12%)
45 degree cross hatch
1mm depth/pressure
Pretty happy with results, it’s hard to capture on camera

3 Likes

@stutaylo Which drag bit did you end up getting?

1 Like

@neilferreri This One

Looks pretty good so far, I ordered a spare insert for it too. Definitely on the cheaper end of the options, but it works well on aly so far, trying out some Acrylic at the moment

2 Likes

Acrylic worked well too… I just winged it and turned out pretty well! Steel next

Feed - 2500mm/min / 500 plunge
Line width - 0.1mm
Stepover - 0.25mm
45 degree cross hatch
0.5mm depth/pressure

5 Likes

And steel:

Feed - 2000mm/min / 500 plunge
Line width - 0.3mm
Stepover - 0.3mm
45 degree cross hatch
1.5mm depth/pressure

7 Likes

Geez, mom better take the kids before you start engraving them too! :wink:

Looks like good tests on different materials.

3 Likes

Has anyone hooked a tattoo gun up to a CNC yet? :thinking::rofl:

Haha, I was walking around the shed looking for different things to engrave…

I actually picked up a used surface pro 3, and instead of walking back to the house to the computer to create gcode, put it on USB, then walk back, I now have vectric aspire in the shed… it’s so much quicker to try things out!

I’m really happy with the engraving bit, it opens up a lot of opportunities for projects

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.