Die, stamp for gold jewellry

Want to do a jewellry stamp for gold. Material, any link to have a reference. Any info appreciated.

What are you going to stamp, a makers mark and/or hallmarks? Do you want to emboss a pattern? Do you want to create a punch using a mallet?

1 Like

Want to emboss a pattern for earrings. I would cut like a 30mm round .4mm thick blank and want to punch it with my design pattern.

A quick search says brass or aluminum would work although I haven’t tried but since gold is soft metal it shouldn’t take much to mark it. Have a search for cncing branding irons on YouTube, I think from memory Winston Moy has a few YouTube videos on exactly that. The process would be similar just smaller, I recently did this to make some embossing die and counter die for paper and it worked well.

1 Like

I’ve made quite a few debossing stamps using brass. These are mostly for leather and for wax seals, but I have a very small one I made (<5mm in diameter) that might be able to punch something into gold a few times. But for durability, I think some form of steel might be better.

Note that this is debossing, where it leaves a recess when stamped, rather than embossing which leaves a raised imprint (typically on paper from behind the paper).

1 Like

+1. I think brass or Aluminium would deform relatively quickly over time. A quick Google shows that commercial stamps use steel.

2 Likes

Thanks every one, gave me some direction, will post my results.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.