Difficulties importing SVG

Save the svg from Inkscape as “Plain SVG”. The Inkscape SVG may work but CC is expecting a 96 DPI svg. Some of the other svg files save in a different DPI. Since and SVG can be resized you draw a box the size you want and shrink/grow the image to fit inside the box you created the size you want.

In recent versions of Inkscape you get messages when importing an svg image. It has to do with text usually and is not important if you get the image you wanted. In Inkscape in the trace bit map there are a lot of controls to change the image density and thresholds. In my current version of Inkscape the preview image has stopped working. So just save the image as a plain svg which is 96 DPI and is compatible with CC. The SVG image standard is not standardized so different applications that save svg files have different standards. There is an svg standard but it is not strictly interpreted by different software.

Appreciate the info on the file type. I’ll stick with the plain svg and maybe that will help to get me going.

Thanks

Sorry, posted to the old thread.
Purchased the attached SVG file and tried to import it into CCPro. CCPro “thinks” it loaded it, but nothing shows up in the program.

Here is the file.
FB1-anenomesandcalendulas

I figured it out and posted to the other thread (Didn’t see it had been split off). The file is showing a cloned image, the original is hidden in the defs. The key is in the info section of the bottom of the inkscape window (One of the most incredibly useful things to look at when you have a file problem) Here I have drilled down in the layers and selected the object. Notice the info:

If I try to do Shift-D to show the original I get this:

I googled “inkscape the object you are trying to select is not visible it is in defs” and bob’s your uncle.

Select the object and then go to Edit → Clone → Unlink Clone. Save the file and it should all be good. That little info window has saved my bacon several times.

Here is the new file:

b05f9a93fa36b51d1b9c84bd52c09e1568b4febb new

I loaded into Inkscape and did the EDIT/CLONE/UNlink Clone. Saved the file and still doesn’t work in CCPro. Why does everybody think importing SVG files is a simple things to do? Not easy.

Went back to the creator of the file and ask them about trying to get it to work. They know nothing about CCPro nor Inkscape so no help.

Guess i’m just out of luck and have to stay away from SVG files and non-usable.

An SGV file is a set of vector lines which CC can follow without modification or interpretation, as basic as CNC gets. With a particular line or shape selected in CC, you can set up a tool path to cut to along selected vectors, inside a vector shape or outside that shape That’s the basics anyway. You can create SVGs within CC or within just about any drawing program

OK! If it is so easy, how come I just purchased this file from Etsy and when I try to load it, NOTHING show ups??? UGH!
FB1-anenomesandcalendulas

Nice. It shows up in the posting, but not in CCPro???

I can open it in Inkscape but the layers show up with a lock next to the object. I also cannot change line colors or anything. It doesn’t act like a vector to me. Something is funky.

Aha! I got it. The image is a clone of an object that is hidden (this is a way to keep things from getting accidentally deleted). In Inkscape I did, Edit → Clone-> Unlink Clone and it works now. Give this file a shot.
b05f9a93fa36b51d1b9c84bd52c09e1568b4febb new

Doesn’t work for me. In Inkscape I loaded the file. Selected it and went to EDIT/CLONE/Unlink Clone. Saved the file. Still doesn’t load into CCPro???

i dont own pro but cc7 here is file saved in that…
svgimported.c2d (388 KB)

The posted file worked for me:

EDIT: which is to say the edited/fixed copy by @45rpm in the post: Difficulties importing SVG - #19 by 45rpm

and @randr has posted it in a .c2d file

Glad it works for everyone else. Just not for me.
What am I doing wrong??
I open CCPro, click on IMPORT, select the file and get NO display. YET, when I close CCPro after that import, CCPro asks if I want to save the file.
Don’t get it??? I am using version 754 if that matters.

perhaps your scaling is zoomed in? importing .svg is very simple as you said and should just work. can you open the file i attached to my first post?

RNDR:
Sorry, I had missed your post. Downloaded and it loads ok. What did you have to do to change it so it would load?

nothing. just clicked the import icon and selected your .svg

It will not import for me. Not sure why. I think I’ll download another copy of CC and maybe that’s where the problem is.

Thanks

here is my “job setup” but even that wouldnt really cause issues

As noted, the problem is the original SVG was made using a program which stores geometry and then uses it by reference — described as “Clones” in Inkscape.

If you then open it in Inkscape and select everything and use a suitable command (the one noted above is “Unlink Clones”, I’ve been successful w/ “Path | Object to Path”) and then re-save, the new copy will open/import properly in Carbide Create. Another way to address this is to save in a file format which Inkscape won’t be able to preserve the clones in such as PDF, then open the PDF in Inkscape and re-save as SVG.