Disconnection issues rears it's ugly head again

B.S. I just emailed you the the email chain to the support desk. You and you company need to get your crap together. I got a response from support. The thing is I already tried an A/C filter with no luck and have already tried the “10 Steps” and replied to support with that info. So I call B.S. on you part.

Hi Scott,
We are going to send you an A/C filter and ground cable. This should help get things going.

Can you confirm your shipping address?

Jennifer Nunez
support@carbide3d.com

How would you rate my reply?
Great Okay Not Good

here is the email chain for everyone to see to show what B.S. you are dishing out.
Hello are you going to ship the below items or am I being blown off at this point.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 2020 4:58pm
To: “Carbide 3D Support” support@carbide3d.com
Subject: Re: Issues with my shapeoko 3 xxl

4************d

Y************4

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 2020 4:44pm
To: “Scott Rittenhouse” scott_edwina@1791.com
Subject: Re: Issues with my shapeoko 3 xxl

Hi Scott,
We are going to send you an A/C filter and ground cable. This should help get things going.

Can you confirm your shipping address?

Jennifer Nunez
support@carbide3d.com

How would you rate my reply?
Great Okay Not Good
{#HS:1374130153-144138#}
On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 3:34 PM PST, Scott Rittenhouse scott_edwina@1791.com wrote:
ANY IDEAS OR AM I STUCK WITH A PAPER WEIGHT?

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 1:15 PM PST, Scott Rittenhouse scott_edwina@1791.com wrote:
Got it tried it and it did not work now what? See photo.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 3:30 PM PST, Carbide 3D Support support@carbide3d.com wrote:
Hi Scott,

We are shipping out your USB Isolator today via FedEx priority overnight. Here is your tracking #781782772695.

Please let us know when you receive it.

Thank you,

Lisa Henderson

Lisa Henderson
support@carbide3d.com
On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 2:08 PM PST, Carbide 3D Support support@carbide3d.com wrote:
Hi Scott,
Your isolator is in our shipping queue. We will send you a confirmation email as soon as that ships.

Jenny

Jennifer Nunez
support@carbide3d.com
On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 8:30 AM PST, Scott Rittenhouse scott_edwina@1791.com wrote:
Yes

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 3:42 AM PST, Carbide 3D Support support@carbide3d.com wrote:
We will send you a USB Isolator which hopefully will address this difficulty.

Is the address we shipped order #52978 to good to send the unit to?

William

William Adams
support@carbide3d.com
On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 9:37 PM PST, Scott Rittenhouse scott_edwina@1791.com wrote:
Start at step 1 and work your way down:

arrange the AC cable for the spindle (trim router) so that it doesn’t cross or be near any of the other cables Done

if you’re using a laptop, ensure that it is plugged in, preferably to a grounded outlet using a 3 prong plug if possible Done

if you’re using a USB extension cable or unpowered USB hub, please directly connect the machine using a shorter than 6 foot USB cable — if your cable doesn’t have a toroid (metal cylinder often molded into the end of the cable) and you have a cable which has that feature, try it, if not consider adding one or getting a cable which has that feature Done Using powered USB Hub

try a different USB port, esp. if you have the option to switch from USB3 to USB2 — if using a laptop try a good-quality powered USB hub — some laptops undervolt the USB ports to save power. Make sure that the cable isn’t being jostled or disturbed. Done

if your spindle (trim router) power cable doesn’t have a toroid, try adding one (note that what seems to be a toroid on most trim routers is actually an anti-theft device on all the ones I’ve seen). Note that worn carbon brushes or a loose connector on a trim router may cause arcing which results in EMI. Done

if possible, connect the spindle (trim router) and the machine through a different circuit Done

if you have a surge protector, please connect the machine through it Done

check the ambient humidity, if low, consider a humidifier What do you consider low.

if using dust collection, ensure that your dust hose does not allow static build-up, or is properly grounded Done

Connect the machine with a galvanic isolator such as this one: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2107?gclid=Cj0KCQiA5aTUBRC2ARIsAPoPJk_QzQ3Qjm2-l-wyL9heIWt_62QGVKLz2u_ytQJiniXgGNuPTVyfUI8aAi7qEALw_wcB

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 8:59 PM PST, Carbide 3D Support support@carbide3d.com wrote:
Our return policy is here:

I’m afraid you’re outside of our 30 day window, so under a normal interpretation of the policy a return isn’t necessary.

Assuming this is EMI, we don’t seem to have sent you the normal EMI steps, so I’m pasting them in below.

Please review them through step #9, and if you can’t get a reliable connection then we’ll send you a USB isolator which should resolve this.

Thank you for your patience in working with us on this.

Apparently your machine is experiencing electro-magnetic interference — please try the following things which you feel apply to your situation and which you are comfortable doing (and have not already tried).

Try changing the brushes of your Router following the manufacturer’s instructions.

Start at step 1 and work your way down:
arrange the AC cable for the spindle (trim router) so that it doesn’t cross or be near any of the other cables
if you’re using a laptop, ensure that it is plugged in, preferably to a grounded outlet using a 3 prong plug if possible
if you’re using a USB extension cable or unpowered USB hub, please directly connect the machine using a shorter than 6 foot USB cable — if your cable doesn’t have a toroid (metal cylinder often molded into the end of the cable) and you have a cable which has that feature, try it, if not consider adding one or getting a cable which has that feature
try a different USB port, esp. if you have the option to switch from USB3 to USB2 — if using a laptop try a good-quality powered USB hub — some laptops undervolt the USB ports to save power. Make sure that the cable isn’t being jostled or disturbed.
if your spindle (trim router) power cable doesn’t have a toroid, try adding one (note that what seems to be a toroid on most trim routers is actually an anti-theft device on all the ones I’ve seen). Note that worn carbon brushes or a loose connector on a trim router may cause arcing which results in EMI.
if possible, connect the spindle (trim router) and the machine through a different circuit
if you have a surge protector, please connect the machine through it
check the ambient humidity, if low, consider a humidifier
if using dust collection, ensure that your dust hose does not allow static build-up, or is properly grounded
Connect the machine with a galvanic isolator such as this one: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2107?gclid=Cj0KCQiA5aTUBRC2ARIsAPoPJk_QzQ3Qjm2-l-wyL9heIWt_62QGVKLz2u_ytQJiniXgGNuPTVyfUI8aAi7qEALw_wcB
Please ensure that there aren’t any extraneous wires which create ground loops (the default configuration doesn’t have this problem but folks have introduced it when adding dust collection, or trying to ground things themselves).

Hopefully some combination of one or more of the above will get you cutting reliably — if things still don’t work, let us know and we’ll work with you to resolve this.

William

William Adams
support@carbide3d.com
On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 8:54 PM PST, Scott Rittenhouse scott_edwina@1791.com wrote:
Well it is happing again. I ran all the test we ran before and it is the same issue with random disconnects again. It is disconnecting while running the air job no dust collection and all the combinations. I did notice that if you lightly tape where the usb cable goes into the controller box I get the disconnect error this is when it is not running any jobs and the spindle is off. Is it possible to send it back at this point for a refund and I will buy one from a different company that builds a more reliable tool.

Correct, so the last thing we had in our system was that we wanted your confirmation of a shipping address to send you a USB isolator or had shipped you one and were waiting to hear how it worked out, so the ticket stayed open and was not acted on further because we were expecting a response on that basis.

An honest misunderstanding at our end, which is where we will leave it here. Your ticket has been escalated and should be responded to once folks in Chicago or California come on-line.

Is the accusation here that we are the same person. Haha this is hilarious, I’ve never met the guy, no connection whatsoever. The only thing that we have in common is that we have the same machine with the same issues and the same lack of support from support.

I know my reply is a little late, I’ve been away for a while.

Interestingly my previous account was deleted while I was gone. Perhaps the admins agreed with your view that my account was a duplicate, irritating.

A 30 day return policy is pretty sad. Outside of 30 days our only recourse is warranty. Can someone explain the logic behind not offering warranty action for a machine that is within warranty, has a clear manufacturers defect and is not fixed or replaced? I appreciate the attempts that you have made to fix my machine, however after doing everything on your checklist and even moving my machine from shop to house I am still having issues.

Perhaps it’s time to gather contact info for others who are in the same position and contact a lawyer. It seems that Shapeoko thinks they can just tell us to pound sand. No company gets to do that. It’s not that simple.

1 Like

Anyone who has this problem should contact us at support@carbide3d.com

If you’ll send me your e-mail in a private message I’ll do my best to look up where we stand with your ticket.

Normally we are able to resolve the EMI disconnect issue — when it doesn’t work out, that’s handled by higher ups.

Done. I guess I’m still waiting on those higher ups.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.