DIY cyclonic collector

Its been a busy weekend:

Yeah, I probably should have checked this a few days ago when suction felt weak but, then I wouldn’t see this mountain of plastic chips.

You can build one of these yourself for the cost of 4 buckets, some rocks and pvc fittings from your local hardware. Checkout Chris Notap’s build here:

5 Likes

Or, if you want a bigger collection can, you can make your own Thien filter by cutting out the parts from whatever sheet material you have on hand on your CNC to fit a steel garbage bin!

I added weather stripping around my can for an air seal… My Shopvac can cause the garbage can sides to pop inwards if the hose flow gets blocked.

https://jpthien.com/cy.htm

7 Likes

@Chaotica do you care to share your files?

I could if I wasn’t traveling/camping at the moment. And it’s only good for one size of trash can.
I’ll see if I can find them when I’m able.

1 Like

I use a similar can to hold the waste from my clear vue cyclone. All the complicated parts are in the cyclone and not the can so it fills all the way up. The problem is dumping it. I can’t put a bag in it as it would get sucked up. So when full I have to transfer into a bag. That in and of itself is a mess and a pain.

I have considered making some sort of rig with hardware cloth or something to hold the bag open in the can and then pull that out before pulling the bag full of dust/chips out.

Anyone have a good solution for that?

Nice! Love the huge capacity and the simple disassembly. The bucket version uses the same internal setup with the pvc elbow.

With the Chris Notap version, he solved the collapsing problem by doubling up the buckets (2 external buckets as a sheaf). Works like a charm.

2 Likes

Could this be something: Anti crush valve.

1 Like

That’s what I do with my BBS orange/blue buckets in my collector.

The steel trash can doesn’t collapse… Not like a Rubbermaid plastic one which will practically fold-in on itself. But the sides will pop-in a bit from the pressure differential.

You just can’t put a bag in it though.

No you can’t put a bag in it(though maybe you could… I haven’t tried to see what would happen… Would the bag get caught up in the airstream before enough dust settles in it? There should basically be zero airflow thru the can sides/bottom… I may just have to try this) , but I find it pretty easy to empty out into a bag with very little dust escaping.
I wouldn’t want to use a bigger trash can as that would end up being overly cumbersome.

You must have a better way to transfer to a bag than me.

Yes, the bag would get pulled up into the collector. Maybe a cage out of hardware cloth would hold it in place.

The wall-hanging dust deputy has a grate that goes over the bottom of the bucket, to keep the bag from getting sucked in. You could rig something similar pretty easily.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/workshop/dust-collection/dust-extractors/111155-dust-deputy-bagger?item=03J0215

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.