Do I need HDZ ? What Spindle?

Give us some context here please. The CW3000 I just googled is for a CO2 laser and costs a couple of hundred bucks. You’re not proposing this as a add on to a water cooled spindle…or are you? Or, is there another CW3000 for spindle cooling and I found the wrong one?

1 Like

@neilferreri I do love a bit of JB weld…

I can’t say what they cost in the US, but over here a CW3000 is £95 or so. It’s very similar to the DIY jobs, in that it has a 8-10 l tank and a bunch of fans to cool any water. There is no actual chiller in them just fans on a coil of pipe.

Mine came this week and I’m going to pull it apart because that’s what I do these. days. My thought is if it does the same thing as the DIY solution for a couple of quid more it’s probably worth it for most folks rather than faffing with various pipes etc. What is kinda cool is it has a thermometer built in and an alarm function.

1 Like

Ok
All I can find is this
9L 110V CW-3000 Thermolysis Industrial Water Chiller for 60/80W CO2 Glass Tube https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTRAJ9N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_XML9Db0TB828W
It includes a chiller so not what you are talking about.

That doesn’t actually have a chiller in it - just a big thermal coil and fan. It looks just like mine…

Because it’s Sunday and I’m bored here is a look at the guts:

4 Likes

Darn, and here I was hoping on someone who was bored commenting on my comment on the Bard on Slack.

1 Like

The manual and website suggest that the device on the water outlet is a flow sensor for the useful/necessary alarm function.

CW3000 chiller + G-Penny 800W HF Spindle + HY VFD = :star_struck: ?

1 Like

Apparently you need to upgrade to a CW5000 or more to get a real “chiller”.

1 Like

Yeh that’s right, I wasn’t expecting any sensors in the one I bought but the ‘useless’ manual tells me there are multiple. I’m now waiting on some push fit connectors to jimmy rig onto this to test the little guy.

Correct on the upgrade path too I think.

Potential future Shapeoko HF Spindle package option from Carbide 3D (buy wholesale/direct from manufacturers)?

It seems that the flow sensor should be on the inlet rather than the outlet to detect major external plumbing leaks ASAP.

2 Likes

The CW-3000 is just a pump/radiator/fan and associated electrical bits, there is no actual “chiller” here. I don’t know how cool spindles have to be, so keeping the coolant at ambient air temperature may be fine. As was stated above, if you want an active chiller you’d need to upgrade to a CW-5000 or CW-5200. I use the CW-5000 with my CO2 laser, keeps the coolant between 19-21C even when shop ambient temp is up near the 40’s. If I was to use a CW-3000 in my environment I’d be replacing CO2 tubes often. If your spindle is happy at ambient temperature then I’m guessing the CW-3000 would be a really simple solution for water cooling.

Dan

2 Likes

There’s that plus a lot less ugly then my DIY setup. Pressed for space at present so I’ll stick with what I’ve got. A good option for new installs though.

3 Likes

You aren’t adding the heat of a laser tube, just a little mechanical heat from the bearings. The radiator version should be fine. I’ve a 5000 model on my laser and it works fine…

1 Like

WC spindles do well with a small amount of cooling. I’ve been running spindles for a number of years with various DIY cooling systems with smaller setups than this with good results. I don’t think the usual 24000 80mm spindle will have a problem with this.

1 Like

Spindles/routers are at best 60% efficient - so at least 40% of the input power produces heat.

TEKNOMOTOR says:
"Thermal Protection is an important protection in motors. Motors can get heated due to overloading, high ambient temperature, variations in power quality, etc. Thermal overload can result in stator overheating, faulty operation and in some extreme cases even fire. Hence, all motors need to be fitted with protection against thermal overload.
PTC THERMISTOR:

• In some types of electrospindles it could be inserted a PTC thermistor in the stator windings to monitor temperature. Electrical resistance of the thermistor increases rapidly as it reaches trip temperature (normally 100°C or 130°C depending on the model).
  • The signal of the thermistor must be fed to a control device to stop the machine in order to protect the electrospindle from the effects of overheating.
  • Thermistor trip temperature depends on the model of electrospindle. For more information call Technical office – Teknomotor S.r.l.

BIMETALLIC THERMAL PROTECTION:
In some types of electrospindles it could be inserted a bimetallic thermal protection in the stator windings.The electrical contacts are interrupted (OPENED) when the bimetallic disc reaches its preset temperature. The contacts will automatically reset once the electrospindle cools to a safe predefined level.

Unless specified otherwise, all Teknomotor electrospindles are designed to operate within the following ranges:

• Altitude not above 1000 m above sea level
  • Maximum ambient air temperature not above 40°C
  • Minimum ambient air temperature not below 10°C"

So, properly designed spindles apparently can handle a pretty broad range of temperatures.

1 Like

Well, if you can get by with a very small Chinese aquarium pump and a bucket of water, the cw3000 will be more than adequate and probably overkill. But if you want to spend $500 plus get a 5000 model. Just sayn.

1 Like

The big thing here is a radiator (CW-3000) is never going to keep anything cooler than ambient air temperature. If a spindle doesn’t care that the water is at 40C and your shop is 40C then it should be a non-issue. CO2 lasers are from my research and manufacturers suggestions I’ve read most happy in the 20C +/- range, so for my shop which is in North Texas (hot summers can be 40C+) a radiator will never end well. As others mentioned, many spindles running with a bucket of water and an aquarium pump, so the CW-3000 would be a nice clean solution. Ebay sellers claim their CW-3000 clones are good for 60-80 watt lasers, but how many of those sellers are going to replace your expensive CO2 tube when it gives up its ghost? It isn’t just that CO2 lasers produce more heat than a spindle, it’s that the CW-3000 is never going to get to the proper temperature in the first place (unless your shop is a very constant 20C year round).

Dan

1 Like

YUP - apparently they’re only 10 - 15% efficient.

I can’t remember where but someone said they had issues with the fixtures on the CW3000

Nothing a thread tap can’t handle.

4 Likes

Mechatron liquid cooled spindles want a maximum of 35C.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.