Do Precision Collets wear overtime?

I was running my Shapeoko 4 (Carbide Compact Router) and I was experiencing what I would call “bit slipping.” I was running the #251 through MDF at a .1 DOC, 100-120 ipm, and 18,000 rpm. There were about 4 different pocket operations this happened with. Each time I would experience this slipping, I had to stop the machine, knock the MDF out of the collet/router, and reset the bit. Do I need to purchase new Precision collets every so often? Or were my feeds and speeds and DOC set to parameters causing this issue?

Yes, they wear, but it’s unlikely that your collets have worn that much.

We recommend that you only use the button to hand-tighten so that things will stay in place while you fully tighten w/ a good quality pair of wrenches (low profile 13mm and 22mm stubby).

I have a Dewalt 611 router and have used the button to tighten the bit for 4 years. I have a stubby wrench so I dont over tighten the collet. The Makita/C3D router is better to have the thin 2 wrenches to tighten the bit. If you are having problems give the two wrench a try and put a mark with a permanent marker on the top of the bit where it exits the collet. If you think you are slipping pause the job and see if the mark is still where you put it. Denatured alcohol will remove permanent marker if you dont want the mark left on the bit. The Dewalt has a beefier base then the Makita/C3d routers so I can use the button.

I bought precision collets from elaire and they are good. I cannot see collets wearing if you are tightening them. If the bits have been slipping you might want to replace them.

Be sure to get the one for the palm Makita router. The Makita collet fits in the C3D routers.

C3D also sells the collets for their router. The collets are cut in kind of a W pattern. The inside of the router shaft is an incline plane. As you tighten the collet nut it forces the bit and collet up the inclined plane tightening the W and holding the bit. The Makita/C3d collet is not captured by the nut when loose so that is why when loosening the bit falls out of the collet. The Dewalt is like a Porter Cable style where the collet is captured by the nut and when you loosen the collet nut it becomes easy to unscrew and then tightens up again and further loosening the bits falls out. I have a plastic tray under where the router comes for replacement so if it falls out it hits a plastic tray and not the table or falls on the floor.

Cutting MDF I find even in my spindle that it is best to pull the collet out of the nut and blow clear any accumulated MDF dust that’s found it’s way inside. MDF can coat the key surfaces and either prevent you fully tightening by blocking up contraction gaps or cause slippage directly by being on what should be a friction surface.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.