Does my Nomad 3 sound normal?

Hi everybody,

my Nomad 3 is pretty new (~ 1 month old) and so far I have only done some soft wood/PCB scratch milling projects (probably less than 5hrs in total). The CNC works really nice and produces awesome results.

However, as I haven’t owned a CNC before, I do not know which sounds are normal for a CNC and which indicate that something’s off. In general I would say that the sound of my CNC is rather high pitched (I get the same sound no matter whether I do PCB scratch milling or milling some soft wood).

The machine currently stands on the kitchen countertop - which I guess could maybe affect the sound a bit?

I’ve uploaded a video here (Nomad 3 Sound - YouTube) and would really appreciate your opinion.

Many thanks!
Bernhard

Hi Bernhard,

I’ve had mine for a couple of months and it sounds exactly the same as on the video you posted to Youtube.

Fab machine isn’t it :slight_smile:

Gunter

1 Like

Hi Gunter,

thanks a lot for the quick reply!

I am not sure if I understand correctly. Does that mean something’s off with my machine or am I good?
Did you do change anything on your machine or does it still sound the same?

Thanks,
Bernhard

I don’t hear anything out of the ordinary. I assume you’re concerned with the sound when it reaches a corner and changes direction.

Hi Bernhard,

It sounds completely normal to me and I haven’t changed anything on my machine.

Gunter

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your replies @gunter511 & @Steve.Mc - very much appreciated!

I did a bit more testing today and noticed that the machine starts to squeak when I move the tool head on the x-axis to the middle (the first third of the rail is fine, but as soon as I hit the middle it starts to squeak). It isn’t that noticeable when the machine does some milling, but I can definitely hear it while jogging.

The documentation mentions that X- and Y- rails need to be lubricated after ~50hrs. Could it maybe be that my rails need to be lubricated sooner?

Thanks,
Bernhard

Yep. Sounds like it.

Thanks for your reply! I tried to lube the x-axis but unfortunately it didn’t change much.

The strange thing however is, that it only squeaks in one direction. If I move the tool from the left to the right, everything is fine. But if I move the tool from the right to the left, it starts to squeak (roughly) in the middle of the axis.

Here’s another video: Nomad 3 squeaking - YouTube

Does anyone know what that could be? I used the recommended lube, applied a bit on the axis and moved the tool a few times from the left to the right and back. But unfortunately that didn’t change anything.

Thanks,
Bernhard

Please write in to us at support@carbide3d.com — if lubricating the rails won’t address this, may need to arrange to have your bearings repacked.

1 Like

Thanks!

I contacted support - hope it can be resolved! :crossed_fingers: