Does the standard Shapeoko Z screw need lube?

I just had my Z axis “self-adjust” and damage a workpiece. It was executing a fairly firm plunge, although close to recommendations (1/2" 90-deg bit with 0.1" DOC in solid birch). The router didn’t slip in its holder, and the Z travel was well within bounds. I’ve noticed the Z motor sounds like it’s trying harder (sounds louder) when doing the tool length measurement. I suspect either the Z bearings are fouled, or the Z screw is supposed to be lubed, although there’s a document somewhere that says don’t lube it. Thoughts?

The Z-Plus leadscrew should be self-cleaning.

The linear rails need lubrication, see:

If you have further difficulties, let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we will do our best to assist.

2 Likes

As @WillAdams commented you have to lube the Z axis whether it is Z-Plus or HDZ. I have seen reports on the forum that the bearing that guides the Leadscrew on the Z-Plus has become dislodged and their symptom was similar and the Z-Plus would not go down as far as it once did. So make a visual inspection of the top bearing that the Leadscrew rides in. The bearing is on the main body of the Z-Plus at the top of the front plate. So maybe jog the Z-Plus all the way down and look at that bearing while jogging up and down and see if it moves.

2 Likes

Guy, that does sound like a good suspect. However, I tried your (very good) suggestion to observe the leadscrew guide while jogging, and if it is indeed loose, the motion is too small to see. I’ll pull the plate off again and check that the screws holding it to the plate are tight.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.