Double sided tape for thick/large board?

Hello guys, I need a little bit of advice here. I want to carve this beautiful masterpiece of a model:

Imgur

And I plan to use this beautiful masterpiece of wood (Teak wood from my country, Colombia)

Imgur

The dimensions are 18" x 24" x 1.3"

I would like to use every inch of wood that I possible can, so I was thinking about using 3M VHB double sided tape instead of the clamp system that I normally use

Imgur

Imgur

What do you guys think? Is this a bad idea? one part of me thinks this is too risky only to gain 5cm in each axis… but other part of me thinks this could be done and it would look awesome. Any sugestion is welcome, thanks for your time.

VHB is intended for permanent bonding — the tape you have seems to have a foam middle layer, so may compress/allow the stock to shift/vibrate.

See discussion at:

1 Like

Thank you, so, would you use the “Tape & CA glue” method for a board this thick and large? I only see that method being applied for small pieces.

Yes, if the stock and wasteboard are both flat, I’d use two or three long pieces of tape parallel to the Y. If you can still fit the cam clamps, there’s no harm in using them with the tape. Done correctly, the tape will hold firmly until you want it off. Done hastily, and, well…

4 Likes

The image you posted, and the board you have, have different proportions, so clamping shouldn’t be an issue.

That said, I often clamp w/ just the 2–3mm projection of Gatortooth clamp (or the plastic version) holding stock — won’t the design have that much of a flat border around the perimeter?

1 Like

May I make a suggestion, there are other models of the last supper which have very nice carvings around the border which IMHO look much nicer.

2 Likes

Screwing the piece from the back to a slightly larger piece of MDF, Plywood, whatever you have could be an option. Just need to make sure your screws are in an area that won’t get carved too deep.
Clamp or bolt the 2nd piece to the table & your clamps or screws are below your work surface.

2 Likes

@BAlexander Even if I had room for clamps/screws in the corner, I would also use painters tape-CA to keep the middle down and prevent vibrations of the stock….doubly so if using upcut bits.

I’ve used vhb, painter’s tape + CA glue, and double sided tape. Ive recently been using double sided tape on all my projects. Here’s the link to the tape I use https://www.amazon.com/Shurtape-Double-Sided-Hardwood-Concrete-152496/dp/B078BN7PQR

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.