Dough Bowl - Facebook Request

A tutorial from a question on FaceBook (Shapeoko Beginners User Group (Unofficial) | Facebook)

No specfics, so we’ll start with this from Etsy (New Wholesale Long Handcarved Skinny Wooden Candle Dough - Etsy)

dimensions

We’ll use 18 x 5 x 2.5, and 1/2" thick.

I like to start by drawing up a side/section view to help visualize how to construct it.

Now draw in the plan view

I want to model both sides in the same part. So I’ll make my stock bit bigger, move the section view off the stock & copy the outer profile for the bottom. When it comes to cutting I just need to remember that my zero point is 6" south of the corner of the bottom side. I will need to set my zero corner on the bottom cut to 6,0,0.
I’m also going to want a boundary for the bottom cut so my tool cuts all the way to the edge. I’ll use a 1/2" ball mill so I create a 0.25" offset.

To create the models, I’ll start with the top side. Select the outside vector & make a Flat component 2.5" height.

Now select the inside vector & make a Round, 45°, 2" height (Scaled), and Subtract it.

For the bottom side, Select the 18 x 5" vector, and create a Round, 45°, 2.5" height (Scaled) component and Add it.

For the toolpaths, select the inner vector on the top & create a Rough & finish path.

image image

Now the tricky part. How are we going to hold it in place to cut the bottom?
I think I’ll put a couple clamps in the middle, and machine the ends.
Then move the clamps to the ends & machine the middle.

So I’ll revise the boundary and make 3 separate boundaries that overlap a bit.

Then I just select the boundaries I want, and duplicate the existing rough & finish paths for the end & middle sections of the bottom.

To output paths, disable 2 groups & “Save Toolpaths” for the enabled group.

Repeat for the 2 bottom groups.

Now just remember that when you go to machine the bottom, you need to enter “6.0” in the Y box for your zero instead of clicking “Zero Y”.

dough_bowl.c2d (688 KB)

10 Likes

This is cool. How many times have you carved this? Any gotchas to think about?

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.