Dove tail condiment tray

I need to make 24 napkin/condiment trays. I was going to make it try to make dovetail joints and a slot cut for the bottom and dividers to have 3 areas for napkins in the middle and condiments in the other 2 ares. I have a bunch of 1/4 and 1/2 Baltic Birch. How do I go about making the program for the dove tails?

You will need a vertical workholding jig to cut the tails. There’s lots of videos on youtube about cutting dovetails on a cnc.

1 Like

With my enclosure I’m not able to extend my router out past the enclosure.

There’s videos of people making holes in the middle of their table as well.

I seen on youtube that Vcarve and aspire have a program for doing finger joints which I liked.

I wrote up a bit on this at:

and this morning, had an epiphany that they could be done using the Keyhole toolpath:

Note that if you have an SO5 Pro you’ll need to do “Gantry Shift”:

(and that it’s not possible on an HDM, and that the SO4 and Pro have a fairly narrow area)

I worked up a fixture on my SO3:

which worked well:

That said, if you don’t specifically want the appearance of dovetails, there are other joinery options — have you considered a full-blind box joint? It’s pretty easily laid out and cut (just wants a narrow V endmill):

and eventually I’ll get it fully written up at:

Like most things in life, how one does joinery is a series of tradeoffs:

• dovetails look nice in solid wood, but require special tooling, can’t be previewed in Carbide Create, require a vertical fixture, and require at a minimum 3 setups (1 - cut parts to length/size and machine internal features, 2 - cut a pair of joints into two corners using a vertical fixture), 3 - rotate the boards 180 and cut the other two corners)
  • box joints are okay, preview in Carbide Create, require a vertical fixture, and 3 setups
  • Knapp joints are an interesting compromise w/ arguably better aesthetics, but one still needs 3 setups

There are various other techniques with other tradeoffs — if you’d like to try one, let us know the specifics of you stock thickness and the box dimensions and we can walk through setting up a file with you here on the forums.

Work this “joint” into your design. I’ve done this before, and it is highly configurable.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.