Downcut Vee Bit Recommedations?

Looking for downcut bit recommendations for Vee bits for use with Oramask so that Oramask has clean edges. Also, any other downcut recommendations for other bit types? I have the #251 1/4” which I got with my original order.

2 Likes

I gave up on masking… I use thin coat of drywall mud or plastic wood. Works 10 times better than Oromask and sands off in 2 seconds. You can thin both if needed.Can produce very fine detail. No pealing

2 Likes

Do you ever paint before applying mud? The reason I’m looking to use Oramask is to use multiple colors when painting.

no but i will bet you could paint then mask off with painters tape or even oromask? then coat, it would be interesting to find out.

I have Oramask but am not impressed. Locally at Walmart I get Easy Liner Adhesive Shelf paper and that works as well or better than Oramask. Plus it is a lot cheaper. If you mask the key is to use a J roller over the masking to adhere it well. Really small details will peel up almost any mask. The drywall mud seems interesting. I may have to try that.

Up a ways @CrookedWoodTex referenced my post on the Groovee Jenny. That bit is fantastic. I was making a prototype in pine and it was perfect. When I need a 60 degree vee bit I use that bit instead of the #302. The #302 is a good bit but the down cut bit from https://www.cadencemfgdesign.com is fantastic.

The purpose of masking is not to “produce very fine detail”, but to provide a way to paint what you cut and keep from painting the surrounding area. I would think that “drywall mud” would absorb a lot of paint at the boundary of the cut (at the very least.) The main point is that you would have to paint over it which obviates the main reason that you’re masking in the first place.

Drywall mud, also called joint compound*,* is a gypsum-based paste used to finish drywall joints and corners in new drywall installations. It’s also handy for repairing cracks and holes in existing drywall and plaster surfaces. Choosing the Best Type of Drywall Mud

I can’t see how this would work well for the intended application.

Wait. Are you saying that one could/should put drywall mud over a mask to get good vcarve cuts?

I second (or third) the comments on the Grovee.
I have several of their bits now and they work very well.

1 Like

Would be interesting to try (to preserve the painted finish). I used to use Oromask now I use drywall mud or wood filler (both thinned). Works perfect. faster cleaner.Try it you will be converted

I’ve tried a few different things, but oramask works the best. I use it when I’m painting a carve on a prefinished piece. You really have to take care when applying it.
@godtar I don’t get the drywall mud… Are you painting the carve?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.