Drag Engraver (MC Etcher) on Leather Question

I would like to apologize if this question has been answered on this forum already, I did a quick look and couldn’t find it.

I am curious about the results of the MC Etcher on leather. I have been thinking about making leather lined trays and how to get some designs on the leather. I imagine the MC Etcher bits would get similar results as Cricut’s Maker engraving tools. If anyone has any experience using a drag bit on leather I would like any tips or tricks as well as how the results turned out. Thanks for your time.

-IceI3erg

The diamond tools are far too dull to cut leather and would just grab and snag and damage the surface — a drag knife is a far more workable tool for leather, so long as it isn’t used at a depth beyond which it can cut safely/consistently.

While not a decorative cut, I was able to use a drag knife to successfully cut leather (workholding was double-sided tape — profligate, but it works):

Spotted the holes using a 30 degree V endmill and the new drill toolpath, then enlarged them w/ a rotary punch — should have spaced them a bit more widely, would have made stitching easier to get even.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.