DRO scale for positional feedback to controller?

So, I bought two 12" DRO scales, and while waiting for them to arrive, I had a look at how to collect the data automatically, and it turns out it’s very easy, I soldered 4 wires on my (cheap) caliper as a preliminary test, connected them to an arduino, and grabbed the serial data that the caliper spits out several times per second, and voila.

I can’t wait for the actual DROs to arrive to start mapping the X/Y work area. My plan is to use the two DROs to hack a simple X/Y mechanism, move the sliders to a specific position using the shapeoko, do a readout, move to some other position, readout, etc…many times over and covering the whole work area. A reverse CNC if you will :slight_smile:

And it’s probably going to end up as “well, that was worthless, but quite fun!”

5 Likes

These are my favourite projects!

Keep it coming, I find this so interesting

1 Like

Just remember to keep in mind the maximum speed at which the DROs and so forth can move safely (without damage) and track accurately.

1 Like

You never know worthless until you give it a shot.

Better than watching TV, I say.

Can’t wait to hear more.

1 Like

There’s been a lot of “soon” - supergerbil might make it, gnea seems lost in space with no news forthcoming.

grbl in atmega2560 is a thing already,
grbl has been put on ramps 1.4,
smoothieboard is a grbl fork, but it’s been pretty dead for a while.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.