Duplicating geometry while preserving tool paths

Been using the software for a few months. Can’t figure out how the make multiple copies of a geometry and preserve the toolpaths. For instance, if I have a geometry that has 10 toolpaths created, how can I duplicate the geometry 100 times and have the original toolpath order for each copy of the part? Right now it wants to do the first toolpath on each copy then do the second toolpath on each copy etc… I want to do all 10 toolpaths on the first copy, then do the 10 toolpaths to the second copy, and so on. Trying to save on the thousand unnecessary rapids.

I think “geometry” is the right term. Correct me if Im wrong. by geometry I mean “part” with multiple shapes, depths, etc.

thx

-woody

Given a group:

which has toolpaths associated with it:

If one uses the command Edit | Duplicate Selected:

There are checkboxes for keeping groups and toolpath links

which work as expected:

Thanks for the reply.

When I do a similar program to your example I still get all pockets machined first, then all the contours machined next. I want to do the first pocket followed by the fist contour then the second pocket followed by the second contour, and so on.

Can’t be done without duplicating the toolpaths. The toolpaths are run in order, so when new geometry is added to the toolpath, it get done then.

The work around would be

• save a second copy of your project.
  • In that second copy, delete everything except the item and toolpaths you want to duplicate.
  • Re-open the original project, then Import the second. The imported items will get their own toolpaths instead of being associated with existing toolpaths.
2 Likes

He would have to do 99 copies/imports to do it that way. ?!?!
Or import the same copy 99 times. ?

Consider making the contour/profile part of the pocket path?
offset the rectangle 150% of the tool diameter & just include it in the pocket path.

1 Like

Now if they could just fix the bug with narrow pocket paths wanting to cut a contour all the way down (depth first) rather than a complete pocket at each level (level first), this would be a reliable & safe alternative. :wink:

Thanks for the tip. Problem is all the toolpaths on my part have different depths, holes etc.

I might just be asking too much of the software. Since I got my machine running a few months ago I’ve had requests to do commercial jobs on it. Was not my intention, but hey, helps pay for other toys. I’ve been wanting to learn 360. I guess its time.

Haven’t ran into the bug you mention. Is there place to post bugs? I have found few myself.

Please let us know about difficulties in the current version:

and provide step-by-step instructions which can be repeatably used to cause the problem in question.

You don’t need to import just one at a time - you could cascade the file you are importing, doubling the number of items in it each time. 7 imports gives you 128 items.

1 Like

The import trick works great. thanks for the tip.

I have a issue/ bug where in the contour window the tool path is not shown when zoomed in. Occasionally it works but usually dissappears when zoomed.

I haven’t had the chance to try and replicate an issue with the engrave toolpath that happened on my machine. Here is what happened. I set the cut depth to .0000 and my machine strarted to plunge down below zero. I changed the field to .0001 and it worked fine. Again, I have not had the chance to try it again.

Also, in engrave the “cut depth” reverts to the “depth per pass” set up for the tool after opening/closing the edit tool window. This can mess you up if your not paying attention.

Found another strange bug today.

Made a simple rectangle with fillets and partial circles where I used the boolean operation to combine them. The lower right corner cuts aprox 4X faster than the rest of the toolpath.

Am I doing something wrong?

Share your C2D file. We can’t do anything with a screenshot.

deckcart.nc (49.6 KB)

deckcart.c2d (92 KB)

When I save the GCode from your C2D file (CC 768 PRO), it’s different than the .NC file you have included here. What version of CC are you using, and how did you save off your GCode?

1 Like

Build 764

Save toolpaths => Save as G-code

Please try the new beta build 768:

and provide step-by-step instructions which can be repeatably used to cause the problem in question.

The gcode only has one approach & one cut feedrate at the top. No feedrate changes anywhere in the file.

1 Like

It seems to be an issue with the acorn controller. After some time working on it today, it only acts up when the feedrate override is set over 100%. With the “smoothing” feature turned on in acorn the problem geos away. Not sure if its an interaction between the CC interpolation and the acorn or just somethig weird with the acorn. I plan to ask on the acorn forum and see what insight they might have.