Dust Extraction

What do you all use for Dust Extraction? Mainly im looking to see what you all use for long jobs, say 2 hours Plus? My shop has a normal dust extraction system in it but im looking for something that fits this more so. Im looking into either a Festool dust extractor or a Fein turbo II. THoughts?

I am using a craigslist $20 Craftsman Shop Vac and $50 dust deputy.

If my SuckIt ever arrives I figure I will be in pretty good shape.

2 Likes

I use a Fein Turbo 1 plus an Oneida Dust Deputy mounted to a 5 gallon bucket. With the Dust Deputy I don’t need the volume of a larger vacuum as nearly nothing ends up in the vacuum. Without the DD you will go through/clog filters fast. I tried two different ShopVacs before finally spending the money on the Fein. It’s got a small diameter hose, but it really sucks, and much quieter than a regular shop vac as well.

Dan

1 Like

I like the Fein as well and its a lot less expensive than the Festool. ANd yes im looking for something quiet. Thanks

I use a 35 yr old kirby vacuum cleaner w/ 1 micron bag mounted behind the box so not in front of me. Super sucker and my own design tornado style dust boot, cleans well enough to see all action thru my bore scope camera mounted in the dust boot mount. Noisy as all heck so I bought the ultimate in sound reduction… 34 decible ear protectors, $12.00 . I also can’t hear the neighbors complaining.

3 Likes

hahahaha! :p…

2 Likes

Ridgid 1450 wet/dry vac pulling through a 30-gallon separator, plumbed to everything in my shop via 2.5" clear pipe, works great.

ALTHOUGH, if I was going to routinely run > 2 hour jobs, I’d figure out some way to change-away from a blower run by a universal motor.

1 Like

Ditto on the basics of vac (Rigid w/hepa) and upstream dust deputy/bucket tandem… all this is connected up to a SuckIt dust boot. I’ve got a vacuum project on my radar, but it’s still an ongoing evolution.

1 Like

I’m running the suckit dust boot original version, to Oneida dust deputy, into my Festool CT midi with a hepa filter. the Festool is great as the suction level can be turned up or down on it.

Dust deputy or similar is probably the best thing I have bought for my SO3, I have had the same vacuum bag in my CT Midi since I bought it! (6 months)

Definitely would recommend.

Suckit dustboot is good, but I think the newer design is better, mine was the first version and it does work extremely well, but it can definitely be improved

1 Like

How long are you running it at a time? what im concerned about is burning up and/or overheating the vac.

I have run my CT midi for 8hrs straight on a relief carving without any issue… the air coming out of it is warm after 5 mins, and its warm after 5 hours…

My shop vac gets way hotter after 20 mins or so, the festool is built to be a dust extractor

2 Likes

Ok good to know that is what i was worried about. Im sold!!!

1 Like

They are expensive, as all festool gear is, but if I had my time again I would buy the same setup :slight_smile:

Good luck!

Suckit is worth the wait. You’ll love it!

3 Likes

Totally agree…The Suckit is well worth it! A must have in my opinion. So is the Dust Deputy. I currently use a Shopvac but am thinking of upgrading to a Festool, pricey though.

2 Likes

I have a Chinese knock-off dust deputy which is dirt cheap and works well with my shop vac. Mounted the cyclone over an old paint can and using a Suckit (a great unit).
https://www.banggood.com/High-Efficiency-Cyclone-Powder-Dust-Collector-Filter-Top-Quality-For-Vacuums-IA1-p-1028998.html?rmmds=search

As for a Festool, I too would like one but here in Australia they are almost three times the US price. I wish I had a Festool for my health’s sake but at the present is financially out of reach. Hopefully later.

A question: Why are they not called Tornados in the Northern Hemisphere, Cyclones are endemic to the Southern Hemisphere?

2 Likes