Dust shoe hit a clamp

I was running a job that required tiling today. It was a profile cut followed by a roundover on 3/4” material. The first tile went well but we had to pause and replace the deep sweepy with the regular on the last pass of the profile. Thankfully I don’t have the 5 so pause raises the router allowing space for the replacement.

Well when on the second tile I got to jabbering with my buddy and didn’t pay attention and the boot hit a clamp and messed up the Y. The pry is messed up on wasn’t really critical as we had already cut a test piece with that letter and could use it instead.

But, I wanted to run the roundover so I split that path out. My critical mistake was resetting zero on the piece. In fact we moved back to tile 1 thinking it would have been easier to align.

Now I realize that the reinitialization of the machine was all I needed and that got me back to the original zero location. I ran the roundover and it was off by maybe 1/32” which wasn’t too bad given the letters are about 10” high.

Lesson learned: losing steps doesn’t mean you need to re-Zero. Just reinitialize. I was not thinking clearly. I know there is another thread about zero potentially being off after an initialization but I think it would be a lot less off than resetting yourself.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.