DXF files do not import properly

All of the parts I have been making on my shapeoko pro have been designed in Onshape, so I export a DXF file from the part studio and import it into Carbide Create. However DXF files do not import well. Whenever there are arcs or radii on the pieces the outline of the part turns into multiple sections. When a contour toolpath is created from the outline it cuts small sections of it at a time, and the parts turn out fine but it is annoying because the job takes longer then it should.

Attached is an example. You can see how it will cut the outline of the part in 3 sections.
example.c2d (88 KB)

Please post the DXF file here, or to support@carbide3d.com

You can fix this by selecting everything

and using the Join Vectors command:

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 8.39.05 AM

The outer geometry doesn’t actually touch:

which is why the Join Vectors command doesn’t work on it.

This is the crux of the biscuit. The DXF translator in CC is not the best.
I tested this by creating your part in NX, and outputting it as a .DXF
The objects in the DXF are primitive circles, arcs, and lines. Nothing is joined.
Everything is accurate in NX out to 16 decimal places. Distance between end points is 0.0000000000000000 :slight_smile:

When I import into CC, I get several partially joined curves. And where they are not joined the overlap or have gaps big enough to prevent joining. The circles come in as circles. But the arcs get joined to the lines to form curves.

If I convert the .dxf to .svg (convertio.com), the objects come in as their original separate curves. The circles are no longer circles, but they still only have 4 nodes (like a circle), and all the curves join neatly.

So it appears the problem is the DXF translator in CC.

Here’s the .svg if you want it
test_bracket_dxf

Thank you both, I think the join vectors command is a good enough solution. I have tried so many things to make DXFs import nicely so it’s nice to know that its not something I’m doing.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.