Early-style nomad lateral spindle play

What’s the best fix for this issue? See video:

Note, this is play in the spindle, not runout. Bearings? Flexure in spindle mount?

Thanks!

We’ve had folks replace the bearings, but it requires an arbor press — usually folks send in their spindle/machine for a rebuilt — check at support@carbide3d.com

Upon further investigation, it turns out this flexure is inherent to the structure of the milling head itself, perhaps in the ways or the gantry or some combination thereof. Not sure there’s anything I’m willing to attempt to correct the issue. I am, however, going to try to get the runout out of the spindle. I’ll replace the bearings and rebore the collet seat taper on the spindle in my lathe, as this eccentricity between the spindle shaft and the tapered bore seems to be the source of much of the runout. See thisoldtony’s recent video for insight into the importance of removing runout from the cutter, especially on small-diameter endmills. How many 100s of $$$ have I wasted because of .002" spindle runout?? I shudder to even think about it. I’ll post updates when the work is complete.

Cheers,
Willie

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.