Electrical Question using 2.2kw 220 volt VFD and Spindle in USA

Problem is my spindle requires 220v and I haven’t found a VFD that can power that off of a 110v input

Pretty sure that most spindles don’t care about the source voltage. I might be wrong on that but I don’t think so. The VFD is what does all the work and they do care about the source voltage. I would definitely not use a step up transformer for this. I would either get a 110V VFD (EDIT: Actually, don’t do that. Most 110V circuits are built for 15A and you would need 20A minimum. If you have to do some electrical work, you may as well do it the better way.) or wire a 220V plug to your garage. A 220V 20A circuit is double what you need and would work great for this. If you are worried, consult an electrician for the most accurate info.

3 Likes

If its double what I need, couldn’t that damage the vfd?

1 Like

This VFD is 110v in, 110v and 2.2kw out, says output current is 20A, do you think it would work?

Electrical devices only pull the current they need. The amp rating of a circuit is just the upper limit of the amount of electricity it is built to deliver. I am not an expert on VFD’s and spindles. I just know the basics. Someone else will have to tell you if that will work. Once again, keep in mind that 99% of the time 110V circuits in homes are built for 15A and not 20A. You usually need to upgrade the wiring as well as the plug and breaker.

Here’s a thread about 110V input 220V output VFDs and step up options;

It would be unsurprising to run into problems trying to run a 220V spindle on 110V as the winding inductance is designed to require the full drive voltage to hit the full speed, see the voltage / frequency curves in the HuanYang and other manuals.

As for the total power requirement, if you find a non-destructive way to continuously consume the full 3kW input and 2.2kW output of that spindle on a Shapeoko, I will be in the queue to buy you a beer, that will be impressive. I hardly ever use more than a few hundred watts on my spindle which has a 13A fuse and 15A breaker upstream of it on an EU 230V single phase supply.

Your options, other than replacing the spindle are to find a 110V single phase input 220V output VFD as per the other thread or grab a step up converter, as per the other thread again.

HTH

3 Likes

Alright, I’m going to try wiring up a new plug and breaker at 220v 20a, if that doesn’t work I’ll try one of those other thread solutions.

The spindle says its current is only 8 amps

The spindle current is only very indirectly related to the input current of the VFD. The spindle current is three phase not single phase and it’s at whatever voltage the VFD is outputting whilst the VFD input current is at your utility voltage.

From the HuanYang manual;

Assuming you have the HY02D223B then the inverter is able to drive a 2.2kW output motor with up to 4.4kVA of output. (that’s not kW that’s kVA).

The thing is you’re just not going to draw that much power, the Shapeoko will tap out well before the spindle does. The fuse or breaker will pop if you do somehow manage to draw that much power and your VFD will turn off.

One thing to note, the VFD accumulates 400V + internally when connected to 220V input, this persists after the power is disconnected. Wait for the VFD to discharge itself properly before messing with the output connections and make sure everything is properly grounded.

5 Likes

This may seem like a stupid question, but is there any reason I couldn’t just wire up 2 of these and plug them into 110v outlets and then stack them in the VFD?

So a 3hp 220v can run on 20 amp. Inverters, transformers and etc will be more expensive than paying an electrician. If you can run the circuit yourself even cheaper. 220 20 amp requires #12 wire a 20 amp 220 circuit breaker a plug either 3 or 4 pin plug. 3 pin for neutral and 2 hots or 4 pin with dedicated ground, neutral and 2 hots. Would suggest 4 pin for grounding. You measure distance from breaker box to plug add a couple feet and buy the #12, 3 or 4, wire at hardware store or whole roll if cheaper. Would recommend running in plastic flexible conduit or buy metal armored with wire run in side already. Many possibilities. If in doubt call on an electrician.

Inside the VFD the connection for the wires seems far too small to fit #12 wire, which is confusing considering this is a 220v in vfd.

That’s a bad idea all around.
Hmmm… or is it…
Yea, bad idea. Probably end up out of phase and blow the drive.

yurch great way to cause a fire or burn stuff out

the VFD is supposed to be the thing to up-convert and chop the signal…
… anything short of having the VFD do this feels like just the wrong way to solve it in a way that you’ll regret. If it’s possible to get, try the 120V-in-220V-out VFD. Or wire proper 240V.
(I still need to do that, but my shop area is 10 feet from the panel so an electrician can do it)

Most dryer plugs in the US are 240V… not sure what your distance is there

1 Like

While I can wire up a new 220v line, my concern is that inside the VFD where the wires connect are very small, while the wires I understand I need to use are very thick. Doesn’t seem right.

I’m going with the must underwhelming solution. I bought the 110v version and I am returning the 220v version.

Thank you all so much for the help, this community is awesome!

1 Like

Yeah,

That’s a feeling I get a lot on the low cost Chinese hardware. Mine has bolt down terminals that you put crimp terminals into.

For those small terminals I’d consider crimping ferrules onto the wire.

1 Like

Probably easiest if you don’t want to wire the 220, as said before, you won’t be pulling the full power anyway.

Sounds like running on 110v would be easier.

But for future reference:. 2200watts divided by 220 v= 10 amps. They do make 15 amp 220 plugs and #14 wire is acceptable for 15 amps. The vfd and spindle may not pull 10 amps contionusly but you have to plan for peak amperage during startup.

1 Like

The inrush surge can be a problem on a traditional motor but all the VFDs I’ve seen have been soft start, i.e. they start the VFD first, generally with a power limiter for a few seconds to charge up the main capacitors without popping a breaker. They then start the motor slowly and ramp to speed rather than trying to immediately go to full speed.

Both of those mean that there’s no big turn on power surge to the VFD.

1 Like