In a pickle with Spindle & VFD

Hey folks,
I’m in a bit of a pickle and hoping to get some feedback. I have a .8kw / 220v spindle and HY01D523B VFD ( single or 3 phase 220v, 1.5Kw ). Now, I actually meant to order a 110v VFD and Huanyang actually makes a 110v input / 220v output 1.5Kw VFD ( HY02D211B-T ) that works with the 220v motor I have. Unfortunately, I can’t find it anywhere . So my questions are:

1. Does anyone else know where to get the 110v In -> 220v out VFD?
  2. If I connect single phase 110v to this VFD, what terrible things can I expect to happen? My assumption is the DC transformer for the display and logic side is 110-230 compatible, but the 220v windings in the motor will run poorly or not at all?

First photo shows what I have, second shows what I’m looking for:
20200615_230943|491x499

I imagine an 110v in and 220v out is possible, but I don’t know of any sources. I’d just look on Aliexpress - find a vendor that has lots of VFDs and ask them if it’s possible.

I suspect connecting 110 to your 220V unit will be underwelmingly short experience. Something won’t be happy, then the smoke will get out - I can’t say if it will be your motor or VFD.

Alas, even more underwhelming. Because I like to live dangerously, I wired the VFD up with 110v and let it rip. It boots up and presents an error telling me I’m using the wrong voltage :smiley: So yeah, time to message every vendor on Aliexpress until I find one selling the HY02D211B-T

1 Like

Worth testing but a VFD that can increase the input voltage that much is going to need additional circuitry and hardware over the normal VFD input rectifier.

Do you not have a 220V circuit available at all?

I think I may buy a 110 to 220 step up transformer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VVXN2SR

It appears that the HY VFDs with the voltage step up are quite a bit more expensive than the “normal” ones here’s one on Amazon and it’s slow-boat from China shipping too.

I’d be quite careful about putting the VFD on the output of a switching voltage converter though, a VFD is not exactly a nice resistive load to drive, thus the use of input power filters etc.

You might want to check with the seller specifically whether their converter is suitable for driving a VFD (or just be ready to return it to Amazon if it won’t)

1 Like

I’ve actually chatted with a couple guys using it on CNCZone and apparently works a charm. A good step up transformer is designed for many different kinds of loads and very rarely are they "nice " resistive loads. I will still uprate the transformer wattage to 2X my max spindle power for a safety buffer.

1 Like

That’s probably more reliable than the seller :wink:

Is returning what you have and buying the correct spindle and inverter not an option?

Paying for DHL return shipping ( China ) and paying the upgrade price to the required 110-220 VFD is more expensive than just buying a step up transformer. ( Which I should mention, the 110 to 220 VFD has a step up transformer built in, that’s why it’s more expensive. )

Could you not connect it up to 208V - like some clothes dryers do (across 2 of the 3 phases). That will be close enough to 220V (within the 10% allowance).

Might need to set up your CNC in the laundry room…

Judging by him having 110v in his work space is betting that he is in the us and we generally do not have 3 phase ran to non commercial buildings.

Ryan is correct, no 3 phase here. It’s also a rental house, which I’ll be at for only a year or two longer before my wife and I buy our next place, so I’m not doing any wiring projects or adding any additional 220 service. At the end of the day, $75 for a 2KW step up transformer is a pretty easy decision.

As it was explained to me, it isn’t 3 phase. Three phase will be running down the poles on the street - I believe they bring in 2 of the 3 phases (basically two live wires) into each house. Things like ovens, and clothes dryers run across those two live wires giving them 208V - everything else in your house will just run across one of the wires and ground.

But I get what you are saying - if it’s a rental, that complicates things.

Residential service in the US is all center tapped 240 VAC (2 - 120 VAC phases 180 degrees out phase with respect to “neutral” and earth ground) 60 Hz as far as I know.

1 Like

Yes, it’s all a bit confusing - but this is kind of what I was trying to get at. This is how they often deliver 208V to USA residental properties for dryers and ovens etc. - tapping off two of the three phases. Again, they don’t bring in all thee phases to each house - just two and a neutral.

Commercial/industrial service in the US can be 208 three phase as you’ve shown, but residential is not. It’s 120 VAC line to neutral (earth) and 240 VAC line to line (not 208 VAC line to line as 3 phase would be).

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.