Emergency Stop and Magnetic SW

I found this emergency stop switch on Amazon. Besides the emergency switch the on and off switch is magnetic. The advantage of a Magnetic switch is if the circuit or all electricity goes off with the switch on when the lights come back on the on switch has turned off. This prevents the router and machine from being switched back on unattended or accidentially. I bought 15 feet of 3 conductor wire and crimpted spade terminals on to attach in box. I ran about a foot long wire out the box with a female plug and shortened a power strip cord and plugged them into each other. The Shapeoko and router (BitRunner) are plugged into strip which is controlled by mag switch and emergency switch.

6 Likes

looks good - do you have a link for that switch?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HWRVPRR/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are fine for our Shapeoko machines, but I’ve seen where people are using this switch with their table saws (most would be around 1-1/2 horsepower!) Please make sure of the power demands of the equipment you use this on.

POWERTEC 71354 SPECIFICATIONS:
1/2 horsepower motors
120-Volt
16-Amp
UL listed
Link to Product Manual

@gdon_2003 thanks for the information! :smiley:

PS. What scares me about the easy access is the easy access! Had to find a place where it is easy, but not too easy. :wink:

1 Like

The advertising is mis leading. The specs say it can handle 16 AMPS but it also says 1/2 horse power. So 16 AMPS would equal to 1920 Watts

16A X 120VAC=1920 Watts.

The equivalent of one Horse Power (HP) is 746 Watts. So if you have a 2 HP table saw then it would be 1492 watts which is below the 1920 Watt Rating for this switch.

I am sure this switch was designed and made in China and sometimes there is a loss in translation from one system or language to another. In China they run on 220-240VAC so their engineers are not always familiar with the conversions to another language and/or system. But amperage ratings what is important and they advertise 16 AMPS. Since I am running on a 120VAC 15 AMP Duplex outlet with a 15 AMP Breaker and #14 Wire to the outlet I feel safe running this setup The advertised amperage for the Shapeoko power supply is 10 Amps and the Dewalt 611 router is 7 AMPS equaling 17 AMPS but both those ratings are maximum draw and they only run at maximum amperage during startup.

If the 17 AMP maximum and sustained amperage was true no Shapeoko could run on a 15 AMP circuit without flipping the breaker. So I feel that this switch is safe to use as long as it is really rated for 16 AMPS.

These numbers are based on 120VAC for the US. if you are running 230 VAC do not rely on these calculations. Look for formulas for your local voltages.

@gdon_2003 I think you completely misread my first sentence. Our routers are less than 5 amp draw.

Anyway, my SawStop saw needs a 20 amp circuit with a 14 amp 1.75hp motor. For my purposes, I wouldn’t use a switch so close to the draw of the tool (especially one made in China.) The reason has a bit to do with the power factor. Not talking about Shapeoko routers.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.