End Grain Chatter

Getting lots of chatter on cutting end grain while cutting a pocket in hard woods (maple, oak, cherry)

1/4 inch downcut endmill
Feeds as low as 35 IPM, as high as 80

• But, as I approach faster IPM, I get worse quality cut
    DOC .125
    18k spindle speed
    5 pro machine

Googling tells me chip load should be ~.007 or more for hardwood, but to get anything close to that im pushing >100 ipm.

Any thoughts from this awesome carbide community? Will chatter also occur at lower IPM?

Im sure this has been talked about, so feel free to point me in the right direction.

You didn’t mention if you are using a router or a spindle. You might want to read through this thread though.

4 Likes

Thanks Cullen! Great post, and I appreciate you sharing!

Post back if you figure it out. I cut ALOT of cherry and get a ton of chatter, pretty much always, i’ve played around with speeds a ton and never been able to resolve it. I mostly do Cherry, Ash, Oak and Walnut, 99% of the time that’s all I cut.

1 Like

I ran some tests last night at 100ipm vs 35, and smaller doc, under .1, seemed to work better to the point of me sticking with this faster speed with smaller doc to get a better finish with less chatter

4 Likes

I run a small DOC as well, i’d have to go look, but i don’t cut more than 1/8"
for sure. But never sure if that is good or bad on the end of a longer bit, i usually run at least 1" cutting length bits.

I usually run like 60/30 or 80/40 to get a decent finish for less sanding. Less tear out ,especially in cherry.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.