End Mill Question

Hey All. I know how to add a bit to my tool library but my question is:

The bit I am trying to add is technically a Ball nose. One of those really narrow 3d finishing pass items, but I cannot add a ball nose with an angle, (it is greyed out in CC) only a Vee or Engraver have the option to enter an angle. Some of the threads say to enter it as a ball nose and just be aware there may be some tapering on steep ‘cliffs’ on the carve since there is an angle to the bit.

Does anyone have experience either way?

I am using this bit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0778GD1WJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I am also using the free version of CC but considering upgrading to pro depending on things like this.

Yes, just be aware that the taper could interfere with vertical walls. CC Pro does not handle this bit geometry either so make your decision to upgrade based on other criteria.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply! To clarify, you are saying to add it as a ball nose the diameter of the tip?

That is what I have read and done. There is really no other option within CC.

1 Like

This question has been asked and answered. Basically you have to make your tapered ball nose a straight walled ball nose bit in CC. AS @CullenS said just be ware that the tapered part of the bit could hit something higher up and damage your project. Maybe they will add tapered ball nose some day. Likely at the end of a long long list of features/bugs.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.