Endmills are consumables

7 years worth of broken and worn out endmills as a hobbyist (not sure why I kept the containers)

Posting just in case any newbies feel bad about throwing away one endmill they have been using for a while, or a brand new one that just broke after 30 seconds of use :slight_smile:

Things I have learned over time:

• buy a loupe (or USB microscope). Sure way to know when an endmill is dull (that and the horrible cutting sounds). A bad way is running your fingers along the flute’s cutting edge :upside_down_face:
  • don’t cut multiple types of materials with the same endmill. Especially endmills that cut plastics or metal
  • deflection kills (endmills)
  • runout kills (micro-machining endmills)
  • if the endmills changes color, it’s fried (due to wrong feeds and speeds)
  • MDF wears out endmills fast. Using a brand new endmill to make profile cuts MDF is a pity
  • the tip of a 15° vbit breaks if you so much as look at it the wrong way
  • tapered bits are rock solid. I have yet to break one.
  • I should have bought a surfacing bit (e.g. McFly or similar) much earlier than I did, I’m never getting back the time I lost surfacing things with 1/4" endmill over the years.
  • lye is a great way to get melted aluminum off an endmill’s flutes.
  • acetone is a good way to clean-up gummy residue one endmills from cutting through tape.
  • using calipers to “check” the diameter of an endmill is a good way to break the cutting edges. Don’t.
  • super long endmills with super long length of cut are handy but require very (very) conservative feeds and speeds
  • I bought a 1/2" endmill once (just because I could), used it a few times for fun and CNC mayhem / to test my dust collection at max capacity, but it’s pretty much useless for real projects I do.
17 Likes

I re-use the containers at need for tooling which when purchased doesn’t come in suitable package.

I will note that the “change color” dictum should be considered in light of how thin coatings are, and that a coated endmill may still be usable and cut well after the coating has been worn away.

Also, I try to keep track of which materials a tool has cut, and after a while a tool which was used for plastic will be relegated to cutting aluminum.

3 Likes

Ah, good point, the color change I mentioned only applies to uncoated endmills indeed!
And instead of color change I could have written “going dark brown” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve taken dulled endmills to a local cutter grinder and have them Resharpened.
Just thought I’d add this as another option for used cutters.

4 Likes

MDF’s ability to dull endmills is impressive. It took me ruining a project several times with the endmill going off-track to realize what was happening. Now I just use inexpensive endmills for MDF, because they die fast either way.

We did that a lot at a machine shop I worked at. It is good for expensive cutters at larger scale. But man, unless you have a box of nice endmills, it’s more expensive. And I hate to toss a piece of carbide, but it seems to be cheaper to get a new one in 90% of use cases of the people here.

3 Likes

I was running a job today and remembered you mentioning the 1/2" bit

This job had a pocket clearing toolpath going 47mm deep in Padauk which was a perfect job for a cheap Trend 1/2" kitchen fitters cutter.

At this depth in the hardwood running full width at 1,400mm/min the pucker factor is a little less with the 1/2" cutter, it sounds much happier than 1/4" or 8mm does. These are cheap as chips so I’m not upset if I wear them out roughing, they come in a 3 pack which is a hint…

The finish passes were with an 8mm to reduce how much I have to chisel out of the corners of those mortices. 8mm is a really nice cutter size to use if your collet will hold them, especially at this longer flute length (52mm) which makes for a somewhat weak 1/4" bit.

5 Likes

What is the charge for sharpening and what type of business will do it?

If an endmill is sharpened the outside diameter will change as they clean it up. A small to medium size machine shop might do it if you had enough. It would require them to setup for cutting the bit. Each size would require a setup by the shop. The cost of setup at, lets throw a figure out that I was quoted a few years ago 100.00 an hour for machine work. Maybe he didn’t want my job, but I don’t have enough end mills to validate that kind of cost. And if the diameter is going to change I don’t want to reprogram Create for the new tools.

I learned from buying cheap bit off Amazon. Yes some were crud. But I learned from breaking them. It is when you break a 65.00 bit because of my mistake that you want to cry. Don’t be afraid about breaking a few. That is how we learn, investigating why as well as not doing it again and again and…

Good Luck

5 Likes

I take mine to a local cutter grinder, he charges about half the cost of a new one to resharpen.
Part of the deal is the timeline in which I get them back, I do believe I ride on the coat tails of the area
machine/job shops. So when he has a set up to do similar size endmills for them, that’s when
he’ll do mine. This can take weeks sometimes to get them back.
The guy I go to is also very cool, (sole proprietor) and I can’t say that every business is willing to work this way.

3 Likes

Thank you. This is good information to know. By the way, what did you learn from “buying cheap”? And how do you buy now?

1 Like

Thank you for this information.

They might not be the highest quality, BUT:
Speed and feed for chip load
Listening to my machine and bit while cutting
Paying attention to when a bit gets dull

I would rather break a $2.00 bit instead of a $20.00.

Now that I am more confident, quality is what I try to buy. You are still going to have issues, much less though.

3 Likes