Engraved ramping in CC Pro?

Suppose I am using a drag bit for engraving of a sort that the etched lines would taper. Imagine lines to show the shadow area of a curved object that would get finer toward the illuminated area. Would the ramp function of CC Pro accommodate this? What are the details? Can you specify over what percent of the total the start and, separately, the end ramp should operate over?

Ramping won’t work for that, but you should be able to get that sort of effect using a Texture toolpath.

See:

1 Like

Thanks, I was hoping for something more uniform and controllable in its gradience to help lend a suggestion of three dimensions. That said, I can see a potential use for what you’ve shown to maybe texture grass or bark.

Can you make the texturing follow a curve?

Wouldn’t a 3D Finish path do this?

Take a spherical height map

I’ll exaggerate here so we can see it

Model your base, then import the image. My stock is 0.5", my base is 0.375, and my sphere is 0.25
so the highest point is 0.125 above the stock.

Now run a 3D Finish path. The tool will be above the stock in the middle, and at it’s deepest around the edges where it’s black.

3 Likes

Interesting idea, thanks! I can see using that in certain situations. The big restriction for my use is that the resulting raster lines are all straight and in the same direction versus following the contours of an organic object as in the hare’s belly below.

Maybe there’s a way to scribe curved (in two dimensions) lines onto a 3 D surface like the dome you’ve used.

You could scribe the curves by drawing the lines as closed geometry and then adding/subtracting them to the 3D model.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.