Engraved too lightly

I’m getting better day by day running by Shapeoko pro. My latest problem that I ran into was that I was engraving date, but it didn’t engrave deep enough. How can I go back and engrave deeper on the date without having to reset my x y and z? I hope you know what I’m trying to say? Yesterday when I was engraving, I tried to go back to the carbide create and increase the depth of my cut, but then i had to zero out everything again, and I wasn’t exact, and I didn’t line it up properly and had to scrap that piece of wood. Is there a way that I can do this without having to reset everything?

Tim
<><

Have you moved the stock off the machine? If so, it will be difficult to align it again. If you have not moved the stock, you might consider using a smaller tool, i.e., a 30 degree vbit instead of a 60 degree. On my Shapeoko pro, the controller remembers the zero locations exactly. In this case, however, you would zero the Z axis again.

1 Like

Thank you
No I didn’t move the stock, and I can change out the bit, but how do I make it go over the tool path that it already went over?

Tim
<><

So… I don’t use Carbide Create, so maybe someone else will tell you exactly…but I would just select the dates (? or what you need deeper) and create a new toolpath…and only run that toolpath. It would be like a brand new job.

1 Like

If you haven’t moved the stock on the machine, you do not need to reset your X & Y zero. These should be remembered, even if you turn the machine off.

If your engraving path is in a file by itself, you can just reset your Z zero a bit lower & rerun it.
If it’s not by itself, you can reset the depth in the toolpath, disable all other toolpaths, and save the file (if you’re using the .c2d file on the machine) or output a new G-code file.

Another cool trick, you can enter a value for any of the axes, rather than clicking “Set Zero”
I use this a lot when surfacing the spoilboard or the top of a job.
After the toolpath, my Z axis retracts to something like 3.742", If I want to take off another 0.010", I just change that value to 3.752. Now the machine thinks it’s 0.010" higher, and then I just rerun the program.

3 Likes