Engraving bits from Amana

Anyone tried these engraving bits yet? https://www.toolstoday.com/p-6009-in-groove-cnc-insert-engraving-tool-body-replacement-solid-carbide-insert-knives.aspx

I have a few insert bit from Amana, but not that one. I am very satisfied with their performance. I have looked at that one, but haven’t had a project for it.

I’ve been trying to understand the benefit of this type of cutter for a bench top unit. The cutter blades themselves are as much as a router bit, and with a 1/4" shank, overall options are limited.

For now, I think I will stay with my standard bits. If the cutters were reversible or offered multiple rotations for cost advantage, It would make sense.

Thanks for the replies. I’m mostly engraving logos and print on aluminum where a 30° point is great for 1/2 inch tall print and the logo but digs too deep on 1 inch print that gets too wide. I was hoping these would allow me to replace the insert as needed (30°, 60° or 90°) and not lose my Z axis. I haven’t had much luck with the stops for bits, so I hoped these would work.

They look nice, but I’m not sure you’ll actually save anything over using a non-insert tool. As @Lewscrew says given that 90 degree router bits in the $20 range already, and the knives for this are $20, seems like a lot of hassle. I think you’ll still need to reset your Z axis after changing an insert. It’s not a hard or time consuming thing to do.

What do you mean by “stops for bits”?

Have you tried using a touch plate to set your Z zero reference?

1 Like

I imagine that for industrial users, the cost of the replacement tooling (purchased in quantity) comes down quite a bit and the total cost becomes very favorable.

Not so much for the little guy, though.

1 Like

For normal indexable tooling, maybe, but these replacements aren’t normal indexable inserts.

1 Like

http://drillcity.stores.yahoo.net/stoprings1.html Sorry, stop rings or collars. I don’t know if there is another name for them

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve been looking for those.

I have a couple of those Amana cutters, and what I have noticed is they leave a far cleaner edge than any of the other options I’ve tried… including kyocera(quite reputable for quality endmills) and various Chinese cheapies. They aren’t cheap but if I’m doing something I want to look good, I use them

3 Likes

Thats also been my experience. I can tell a quality difference They seem to have a tools for very specific materials and they do make a discernible difference. I used one of their O flutes on …250 extruded acrylic at 160 ipm cutting pockets and profiles. The finish was outstanding. I rarely cut MDF, but I just used their recommended compression bit for profiling some MDF at 100 ipm and the edge was perfect.

1 Like