Epoxy Olympic Rings

I’m brand new here, and brand new to CNCing. I’m watching patiently for the Pro to be available for order…

In the mean time, I’m trying to learn the software as much as possible. I have both Fusion360 (trial) and CC downloaded. I’m a hands-on learner, so I’m trying to take some simple ideas and play around with them. I’ve got past the basics, but I was trying to figure out how you would do an epoxy olympic ring carving.

Seemed simple, but I’m getting stuck on both the order of operations, and the features in CC on this one. The rings are easy, but what I’m having trouble wrapping my head around is the different color epoxy pours that would be required. I’m starting with a SVG of the 5 rings. Any tips?

1 Like

You could leave a gap between rings, like this:

Here’s an SVG (right-click → Save as):
Olympic_Rings

Otherwise you’re carving a ring, pouring epoxy (in place would be best), waiting, carving the next, and so on.

8 Likes

To be fair, you could cut and pour the blue, black and red rings, wait for them to cure then cut and pour the yellow and green essentially making the process only a day or two.

5 Likes

Thanks for the replies. Good point on the cut rings, that is definitely an option. I was hoping to figure out a more complex way to do it - just to help me understand better.

I also thought about doing the top 3 rings, then the bottoms. The issue there is the overlap of the rings - each ring goes under one ring but over the other. That’s where the order of operations got confusing for me…

Welcome aboard! I hope you enjoy your time here and feel as welcomed as I when I started.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.