ER20 collet nut tightening torque / tooling?

My (albeit quite limited) experience suggests that axial endmill forces are usually the dominant factor in endmill clamping, Z-axis rigidity, and workpiece mounting requirements.

Unlike Rego-Fix’s, Techniks’ ER collet nut torques aren’t dependent on collet shank size.
Techniks ER Collet Nut Torques.pdf (965.4 KB)] from. That makes life easier and seems sensible. What doesn’t make sense is how anyone is expected to get 59 ft-lbs torque from a ~1/2 ft long wrench! That would be hard to do even with the huge wrenches that came with our HDM. But I still wonder if that’s safe for the HDM collet nuts.

I recently destroyed the threads on one of my er20 spindles, most likely either due to too many tightenings or probably just cranking it down too tight. Would like to stop doing it wrong lol.
Found this torque wrench, iswiss tools collet torque wrenches.
Anyone use one before? They have one for the er20 with options for two collet nut styles, and lists 40/70 for torque. I don’t see a dial on it, is it one side torques 40 the other side 70? Why would they use these settings, I read that the er20 collet should be at 58 lbs?
Is 40 lbs good enough for aluminum work etc?
Which style collet nut is better, does anyone have a preference for any specific reason?

The Techniks wrench Gerald linked to is like 315 dollars and 16.5 inches long not including the tool end so it would probably be 20+ inches total, kind of big and might be hard to use while holding another wrench at the same time with your other hand.

2 Likes

I’m still confused here I thought the whole point of this was asking if it was necessary to hit those numbers? Officially yeah that’s what they say to keep the system in spec for vibration and clamping. Unofficially, I think it’s too much and can lead to increased wear. I can’t tell you that you will get the same clamping force without testing. There’s margin built into all of these for manufacturing tolerances though. So if you have a good fit you are likely to not need the full number.

Like I said most just list the max on the whole spec and Techniks’ pretty much follows that.

Standard ER11 nut:

• REGO-Fix - 17.7 ft-lbs
  • Techniks - 17 ft-lbs

Standard ER16

• REGO-FIX - 41.3 ft-lbs
  • Techniks - 42 ft-lbs

Standard ER20

• REGO-FIX - 59 ft-lbs
  • Techniks - 59 ft-lbs

One last note on torque numbers. gmack helpfully pointed out (not sarcasm) that on our site we had some incorrect torque numbers listed on a page for ER nuts. When I went and corrected them I found there’s some errors in the sheet from REGO-FIX. e.g. ft-lbs and Nm being the same for ER11. The Nm table makes sense in context of the group and to the next size, the ft-lbs does not. Go with the Nm and convert if needed.

One thing that has not been discussed regarding this is if all spindle threads can even handle these loads. I know from working with customers that there’s not been an issue with the spindle using these max torque numbers on Columbo, and HSD. However, those are pricey industrial spindles.

Can’t say anything about the iSwiss as I have no experience with the company. If I had to guess I’d say that it’s probably just a standard wrench remarketed to this application and they considered those numbers close enough.

Techniks uses Norbar (if you don’t believe me zoom in on the handle picture from the amazon link you used). If you really want that wrench (Link) it’s $173. However, that’s the 40-200Nm one so it might not fit your application. The Pro 100 is 20-100Nm and $163. Any of their 16mm spigot end ones should work with the heads from Techniks.

3 Likes

[quote=“CNCInspiration, post:22, topic:15797, full:true”]
I recently destroyed the threads on one of my er20 spindles, most likely either due to too many tightenings or probably just cranking it down too tight. Would like to stop doing it wrong lol.[/quote]

Don’t you mean collet nuts, like shown here?

This kit includes a 22mm wrench (which should fit the motor shaft). But who knows what’s safe and appropriate - maybe @Vince.Fab?

1 Like

Mine locked up so bad I was not able to remove the nut. Got it loose about 2 turns, enough to get the tool out and it must have welded itself. I think it would take a vice and breaker bars to remove the nut if at all possible.

Realized I missed this in the previous message.

Be careful with different versions of nuts. There are 2 standard threads for most ER spindles. One is a “standard” also called A/UM/slotted. The other is a “Mini” also called M/castle/slotted (yes they both are sometimes called slotted). There’s also a style that uses the same thread as the standard nut that is larger that can be called an “E” style. As far as I’ve been able to see none of these go back to any standard. So watch the thread of the nuts you are buying.

Personal preference, I prefer the castle style with the castle spanners. To me they are the best combination of ease of use, and consistent force. Some don’t like them though as you can’t easily load a tool with a larger cutting diameter than nut diameter. I’m also probably bias as it’s one of the first styles I used and I’ve used them a lot. They are also pretty uncommon with a standard thread.

3 Likes

Maybe galling (which like cross threading, can cause that kind of thing)? The nut isn’t aluminum, is it?

Thank you for all the help John, very informative.

I think the shaft might be hardened steel and the nut is regular steel, but I do not know for sure. I don’t think the 2.2kw spindles use aluminum nuts.

Doesn’t the lower permissible torque for the Minis mean that they have proportionally less torque on the endmill?

No problem. Glad to help where I can.

Both should be steel and hardened depending on steel type/grade, application, etc. The nut should be softer than the spindle. I can’t say what everyone’s spec is though.

My understanding is that the difference is due to the tread size. Less compression to the collet for the same torque using the larger thread. That results in the need for greater torque on the “standard” nuts for the same collet compression (more force lost to friction of the larger thread vs compressing the collet).

One downside is that the mini threaded components have more fragile and easier to damage threads and less meat in the spindles/toolholders. If I get some time I’ll try to dig back into it for more specifics. I remember data on that being buried the last time I looked it up though. Regardless, where you usually see the minis is in toolholders for ATC.

1 Like

I don’t think so Bolt Torque Calculator (engineeringtoolbox.com)

2022/02/01 Edit:
24,000 RPM and 2,200 Watts equates to 0.6456 ft-lbf torque.

The VFD can be configured to provide a 30% torque boost at lower speeds (is it?). So, the 2,2kW Carbide 3D spindle is likely only capable of 0.839 ft-lbf torque. Assuming that most of the torque on the collet nut gets transferred to the endmill (wouldn’t it be?), even 8 ft-lbf would seem more than sufficient to keep the endmill from slipping if it and the collet are clean and dry?

1 Like

There’s a reason that I started that with “my understanding is”. I don’t like the lack of data on it or the answers I get. Real world, in my experience it does play out that way. The minis do not require as much force to hold a tool in the same collet. Why it’s that way I still don’t have a good data backed answer for.

Now I’m going to do something stupid and go through some of what I’ve found where I don’t have conclusions or answers and could just straight out be misconstruing things. But maybe I’ll get some answers this way with more eyes on it. Worst case is I’ll look like an idiot…so nothing new.

Here’s what I do know. Like for like a smaller bolt with the same torque applied to it will result in more axial load. You can use the link you have there or this is a little easier to work with (Link). That doesn’t explain the differences though. Take the ER16 standard and mini nut as an example. If we throw those into the that calculator using the defaults other than lubrication to SAE 30 we get:

ER16M:
M19x1 18ft-lbs = 2406lbf clamping force

ER16:
M22x1.5 41fl-lbs = 4734lbf clamping force

Both of these don’t take into account the thread (they even say so).
Easiest free source I can find for this is an excerpt from Kyokuto Seisakusho on minsumi (Link). Not going to go through all of it but the functional part is:

Axial force = max yield percentage x tensile strength x effective sectional area (also called the Nominal Stress Area)

Again short version look here (Link) for the areas on course and fine thread. This doesn’t get us there completely as we don’t have those threads and pitches. But it’s enough to see that we aren’t going to pickup that much from the thread. Maybe around 10% more.

So now let’s go to MIL-HDBK-60 (Threaded Fasteners - Tightening to Proper Tension) - (Link)

We’re going to start by throwing all our numbers into a +/- 25% using a torque wrench on 6.1 table I. So that’s fun to start with… Then we get to the part that might matter 50.2 axial load applied talking about bolt elongation etc, etc. Then 100.2 where we talk about axial load related to thread helix and torque load.

I’m not going to pretend that I have gone through all this or understand it all. The short version that might be useful here is that the axial loads are relative to the elongation of the threads. Where functionally the the metal is stretched to create the load based on tensile strength, thread helix, modulus of elasticity, etc. Is that right? I don’t know, it’s on the back burner and the best I’ve been able to come up with in what little time I’ve had to spent on it. The problem with this is that I don’t really have a way of calculating it as we can’t use the bolt/screw numbers anymore as our mass isn’t even close to the same. We know it’s a lot less metal there (ER16 example again M-nut OD 22mm, standard nut 28mm). But the area the force is being applied to is still just the thread.

It would be nice to have a graph with X load on nut results in X clamping load on the tool. But those are few and far between and usually not sourced well. For those that want the one I have that’s still online (Link). Scroll down to clamping forces, short version, on an ER32 collet at 140Nm we get 20ish Nm on a 6mm tool.

If anyone has some other sources or some other way to calculate these or reasons why I should throw out any of the above I’d be grateful for the info.

Short version to your follow up. Spindle torque doesn’t follow along with tool forces. e.g. here’s a mechatron 9hp spindle made for metal machining (Link). Torque tops out at under 6nm. The forces on even a 1/4" tool slotting 1" at a 0.004" chipload is over 60ft-lbs of axial force (depending on helix, rake, etc). No, the clamping force transferred to the tool is not 1 to 1 (see previous). From the data I have it gets closer the closer the bore diameter is to the collet diameter though. Still doesn’t matter for this as the clamping force isn’t a 1 to 1 to the collets ability to hold the tool in the collet.

2 Likes

That graph shows that the clamping torque on the maximum tool shaft that the collet supports is essentially the same as the torque on the clamping nut. Maybe that’s the case for other ER collet sizes too? The graph also shows that the torques on the tool shafts apparently decrease linearly with the shaft diameters. Since the forces exerted on the tool shafts are generated by collet compression from the toolholder/collet tapers and torques on the collet nuts, they are probably independent of collet size. If so, the clamping torques would be proportional to tool shaft diameters as shown in the graph - right?

Kind of like this? Did you use Millalyzer too? What did you use for an endmill model?

This simulation shows 190.4 lbf peak axial cutting force. I believe that would result in something like 190.4 lbf * sin(45 degrees) * 0.25 inch /2 * 1 ft/12 inches = 1.12 ft-lbf tool torque
and 275.7-lbf peak in-plane force (2.03 ft-lbf tool torque) but @spargeltarzan would know for sure.

I wouldn’t draw too much from that graph. The two main issues I have with it are that it’s basically an advertisement for that CP32 and that there are only 2 measurement points for the standard chuck. I know that the larger the collet bore gets the more clamping force you get for the same torque though.

Not sure how you are coming to the forces being independent from the collet size. Since we don’t really know the axial load from how the nuts work, but that in a solid bolt it changes by screw size for the same torque, I don’t think I can agree.

Yeah, I like Millalyzer for quick idealized and standardized loads (wish it could calculate for tapered cores, carbide grades, relief, runout, and a few other things though). It doesn’t give real world but better starting points for force calcs than most things, especially for the setup time.

Was just a test tool I was messing with to look at variable necking effects. 1/4", 25° helix and 20° radial rake. Wouldn’t be my first choice for metal in 90% of cases. You’re getting a lot more axial from the helix and low rake.

Pretty sure spargeltarzan hasn’t been here for a while (last login end of 2021). I’ll take your word for it. Not nearly enough coffee in me for my lack of sleep to math right now.

My point to you previous post is that if you had 8lbs on the nut we don’t have any good numbers or a formula to know what the clamping force to the tool would be. Then we have the issue that the pull out force and radial slip resistance are not equal to the clamping forces. Even if we did have those, from real world experience it depends on the collet’s finish, bore, and matching angles. I’ve measured over 100 collets of the same type and size in a day, with the same collet nut and mandrel, stripped and freshly cleaned from the ultrasonic bath. Regardless of good or bad runout some of them will take more nut torque to “load” to the point that they will grip a carbide blank. It also has an effect on how well they are holding for the same nut torque. Hopefully that made sense.

Rego-Fix USA has some relevant and informative videos on YouTube:

1. This one explains why torque requirements can vary with collet sizes “ER Nut Torque"
  2. This explains how to deal with that “Torque Tightening Options"
  3. "Standard vs Mini ER Nuts"
  4. Clamping forces vs. Nut Torques"ER Nut Torque Tests""
  5. More on clamping forces"What difference does an ER nut make?""
  6. Competitive Torque Testing"
  7. "Dirty Collets and Clamping Force"
  8. "How to clean ER collet assembly"
  9. History of the ER Collet"
  10. ER Nuts Part1"
  11. ER Nuts Part2"

Rego-Fix downloads

3 Likes

There’s some good data in there. Unless I missed it, nothing related to mini vs standard clamping though. It’s also all to a common collet size making it hard to extrapolate much.

I did find some interesting data in Pioneer’s catalog on page 11 and 156 (Link). They have data for radial slip on standard and bearing nuts with a half inch arbor. It seems that like for like you pick up a bit of clamping based on collet size but is largely based on the bore (exception being a big jump at ER40). They use very similar torque numbers for their standard thread as REGO-FIX, even lower numbers for mini though.

1 Like

Rego-Fix’s response to this question on their “Torque Tightening Options" YouTube post “How can anyone get 46 ft-lbf force from 7’” long wrench?" was:

“This is actually a good question! We intentionally make our wrenches smaller to prevent over-torqueing; unfortunately, this sometimes causes issues when you’re at a higher end of the wrench’s usage. In this case, you’re having to put around 85 ft-lbs of force to get that 46 out on a wrench, which can certainly be a little uncomfortable. Our solution to this is using a wrench head with our GA wrench bar, which measures no torque but gives you closer to a 1:1 ratio on your torque. In many shops people use a cheater bar or extender, which we’d prefer to stay away from since you can over-torque and crack threads since most bars are not measuring torque values. However, with the TORCO BLOCK featured in the video, an extender of this kind doesn’t really hurt you since we’re still measuring the torque value without a specific torque wrench. That’s a long answer for a simple question, however we hope that helps explain things a bit. Cracked threads on ER holders are easily one of our most seen issues, so we’ve tried to take steps to prevent this from happening.”

1 Like