Errant carving paths

At different times my machine will start carving of the tool path. Almost like the x and/or y position has changed. What causes this?

This is caused by a loss of steps, either due to a wiring fault or mechanical issue.

Check the wiring and connectors — are they all in good condition and secure?

Per the machine operating checklist: Machine Operating Checklist - Carbide 3D , the basic points of adjustment for a machine are:

If you don’t find anything obvious to address, let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we will do our best to assist.

Thanks for the quick comeback ! I will check it out and let you know

I have had this happen when the program tries to move beyond the bounds of the machine, or if it gets hung up/blocked while cutting. For instance, one time the vacuum hose fell drooped down and blocked the carriage from moving to the right which resulted in loss of steps. I have also had the sweepy adapter hit clamp down knobs and make me skip steps as well.

Hey Tim,
I’ve had these issues intermittently too. It turned out not to be related to belts or pully set screws but the linear guide carriages were actually seized. If you cut a lot of wood without dust collection, the dust from the wood could be getting inside the ball bearing carriages on the x axis. You can minimize the chances of this issue by keeping the rails clean, properly lubricating the carriages, and improving dust collection. Hope this helps!
~Austin

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.