Estimated time to surface spoil board on 3XL

I’m not sure if this is where this belongs, first time user here. I set up a tool path for surfacing the Spoil board, when i finished the tool path the estimated finish time is four hours. would this be considered normal or is this something that should take less time?Spoilboard Surfacing.c2d (4.7 KB)

Carbide Create’s feeds and speeds are very conservative — you should be able to speed them up quite a bit.

The answer is maybe. I have a Whiteside 1" fly cutter and it takes about 20 minutes (XXL). I made a custom tool with Whiteside’s advise. 100 ipm but I ran at 80 ipm at 15,000 RPM with 50% stepover. I sent an email to Whiteside Router Bit customer support ant that is what they recommended for a 6210 3 wing 1/4" shank fly cutter. Since you are only taking a few thousands off at a time you can really go. Be sure you are using dust collection. MDF makes a mess. To make sure you flatten the board put pencil squiggles all over the spoil board. When all of the pencil squiggles are gone you can quit. If you get ridges your router is not square to the spoil board. I have an inexpensive set of 123 set up blocks I used to square my router mount. So if the ridges go across the spoil board and it is higher in the rear then you need to shim the bottom of the router mount. If the ridges are along the sides then you need to loosen your router mount and move it to get rid of the ridges. Remember that the router mount needs to move toward the high side of the ridges. So if the ridges are on the right you need to move the router mount up on the left side.

3 Likes

What is the best way to make the updates to speed and feed, I know nothing about codes.

See: https://docs.carbide3d.com/assembly/carbidecreate/video-tutorials/#toolpaths

Will

Thank you I will try this tonight.

What i believe i am asking is in reply to Guy’s answer. I have the same White side cutter (6210) that he references and when I add the tool it tells me that the router will only need to run at 3819 rpm. and that the job will take 3 hours and 57 minutes to complete. the numbers below are what is showing after creating the tool path.

step over is 1.0 mm
depth of pass is .572 mm
feed rate is 145.5 mm
plunge rate is 48.5 mm
rpm listed as 3819.

Did I not get something entered correct or did I miss something altogether? It seem as though removing only 1/2 a mm should not take longer than a trip to the dentist.

1 Like

I used a half inch diameter bit and it took maybe an hour. And no issues with ridges

I surfaced a larger-than-3XL HDPE wasteboard last week with a 6210 in <15 minutes.

I used around a 3/4" stepover, at 10k RPM and 12,000 mm/min. My DOC was about 0.5mm.

1 Like

If you’re having issues with ridges, then the best thing to do is to re-tram your router. The ridges appear because your router isn’t perpendicular to the X and Y axes. The slight tilt of the router leaves ridges when surfacing. There are a bunch of ways to fix this; worst case, you can use a big surface bit like the 6210 and adjust a little bit at a time until it goes away, but that’s not the quickest way.

Alternately, you could use something like a bull nose endmill. Basically, it’s a mostly-flat endmill with a slight radius on the corners. The slight radius gets rid of the hard edge left on the wasteboard and makes it much harder to notice that you’re out of tram. You won’t be able to find a 1" one that’ll fit into a Shapeoko, though, and surfacing with a 1/4" endmill will take a lot longer. Plus you’re better off getting your router trammed right long-term.

1 Like

In Carbide Create, you have to uncheck the “Set speed automatically” tick box and then you can change the F&S. You should use a calculator or a table to set the proper F&S that are completely wrong for the Shapeoko.

2 Likes

Luc

This is what i needed to know as I received the suggested speed and feed for the white side 6210 and could not find a way to enter them, I will try this and see what happens. Thank you all for the suggestions they all help those of us who are just getting started.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.